Did you get the Printer Error 0x00000709 while attempting to set your default device accompanied with a message – “Operation could not be completed”. There are several reasons that may cause this error to pop in the first place like corrupt drivers, corrupt registry entries, etc. Sometimes, letting Windows 10 auto-manage the default printer can also lead to similar issues.
To solve the error 0x00000709 on your computer, you should first run the troubleshooter. If this doesn’t help, try altering its default settings and update printer drivers. If none of these solutions work, you should modify the registry keys as there is the possibility of certain entries becoming obsolete. Let’s learn the ways to solve this bug on your PC –
Fix: Error 0x00000709 while connecting a Printer
To fix Printer Error 0x00000709 on Windows 10, use the below workarounds –
1} Run Printer Troubleshooter
- Press Window+R shortcut key to call Run dialog box.
- In the search box, type the following commands and press the Enter key –
msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic
- On the following page, click on the Next button as shown in the below snapshot.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions and in last, close the troubleshooter page.
2} Disable the Windows 10 managing Printers automatically
Windows 10 works on users’ behalf and auto manage the available printers. If you are facing the 0x00000709 error, you should disable this optional feature opening the local settings on your PC. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Launch Settings using the Win+I key combinations.
- Select Devices thereafter Printers & Scanners.
- Switch to the right pane and unmark the checkbox against “Let Windows manage my default printer“.
- Close all running windows and Restart your PC so as to save the changes made so far.
3} Use the Registry Editor
- Click on the Start button and type “Regedit” from your keyboard.
- Select the Registry Editor application from the best match.
- If UAC prompts on the screen, click on the Yes button to give your permission.
- In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the path –
- Move to the right pane and double click on Device option.
- In the popup menu, give the name of the printer inside the Value Data field.
- Clicking on the OK button, a new error may appear saying – “Cannot edit Device: Error writing the value’s new contents”.
- In this case, you need to set the permission of the key.
- So, go to the left pane and do a right-click on the Windows folder as shown in the below snapshot.
- From the context menu, select the Permissions option.
- Go to the Group or user names section, and select Restricted.
- Again, go to the Permissions for Restricted section and mark the checkbox next to the Full Control and Read option.
- Finally, click on the Apply and then OK button.
- There is a UserSelectDefault option in the right pane.
- Right-click on this option and rename it as the printer name.
- Now, reboot your computer and that’s it.
4} Update the Printer Drivers
The presence of obsolete printer drivers may also result in Error 0x00000709 on Windows 10 PC. To rule out this section, you must update all the Print drivers using the below steps –
- Right-click on the Win Icon and select Device Manager.
- On the following screen, expand the arrow next to the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.
- When this section opens up, do the right-click again on the “USB composite device” and tap Update driver. See the Snapshot below –
- Next, choose “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
- The System will take care of the remaining things. Wait for a while and let the Device Manager do its task.