Did you get the Printer Error 0x00000709 while attempting to set your default device accompanied by a message “Operation could not be completed”? There are several reasons that may cause this error to pop up in the first place like corrupt drivers, corrupt registry entries, etc. Sometimes, letting Windows 11/10 auto-manage the default printer can also lead to similar issues.
What does Printer Error 0x00000709 mean?
This error simply means that there is already a printer set and configured to use on your Windows PC. In addition to this, it might also occur when Windows does not want to configure the new printer at all. Upon encountering this error code, you may see the error message as outlined below –
Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709)
Does hard resetting solve this 0x00000709 Error?
Before you apply any workaround, check if you can solve this issue simply by hard resetting your Printer. To do so, follow these easy steps –
- Shut down your PC and this will result in your Printer stopping as well.
- Unplug the power cord from your printer and wait for at least 2 minutes.
- Remove any wired connection between your PC and printer as well.
- After the wait time of 2 minutes is over, re-plug the power cord and the connecting wires between your PC and printer.
- If you are on a wireless network, check if your printer is now connected to the same network.
- Launch Command Prompt as administrator next, and run these codes –
net stop spooler
del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers* /Q
net start spooler
- The first and the last command is there to stop and then restart the Print Spooler service. Whereas, the second command runs to delete any cache files or clear any queued files on your computer.
Now that you have cleared Printer Spooler, restart your PC again. From the next login, check if you can print documents or connect to a network printer without getting into some error code.
Fix: Error 0x00000709 while connecting to a Printer
To solve this printer error 0x00000709, you should first try the Printer Troubleshooter. If this doesn’t help, try altering its default settings and updating printer drivers. If none of these solutions work, you should modify the registry keys as there is the possibility of certain entries becoming obsolete. Let’s learn the relevant ways to solve this issue on your PC –
Note: If you are getting this error code after installing a recent cumulative update, make sure to downgrade to the previous version. For all other reasons, you may follow the below workarounds –
1] Uninstall Recently installed Cumulative update
Several users received this error code last year after installing the Oct 2021 Security patch i.e. KB5006670 on their PCs. Microsoft brought a resolution back then and fixed this issue with a non-security update KB5007262 on Windows 11 and KB5007253 on Windows 10.
If you received a fresh error 0x00000709, installing the above patches won’t do any good. Instead, what you can do is roll back to the previous Windows 11/10 Build version. Here’s how to remove recent cumulative updates from your computer.
Note: If you had installed some other cumulative update and started getting this error code, uninstall that update.
- Press Win + I to launch the Settings window.
- Go to Update & Security > Windows Update next.
- Click the “View update history” option on the right pane.
- Here, you will find an option – “Uninstall updates”, click on it.
- You will be redirected to the Installed updates on Control Panel.
- Click “Uninstall a program” on the left pane. A list of all recent patch updates will appear on the right side.
- Scroll and locate “KB5006670”, right-click on it, and hit the option – Uninstall.
- When the warning message comes into the display, hit Yes.
- Your device will restart immediately afterward, and start removing the chosen update.
- Wait for this cumulative update to remove successfully.
After this cumulative update uninstalls, restart your PC again, and see if you can now connect to a network printer.
2] Remove a Windows update via CMD
Uninstalling a cumulative update is quite easy using the Command Prompt. However, you need to launch this tool as an administrator to make any system-level changes.
- Use Win + X and choose Windows Terminal (Admin).
- Press Ctrl + Shift + 2 to enter the CMD screen on Windows 11.
- Copy/paste the below command and press Enter –
wusa /uninstall /kb:5006670
Note: Do change “5006670” with the actual number of Cumulative Update after which you started getting into an error code 0x00000709.
Command Prompt will immediately start downgrading your device to a previous Build version. Wait for this downgrade and once it is over, check if the problem resolves.
3] Run Printer Troubleshooter
- Press Win + R to launch the Run dialog box.
- In the search box, type the following code and press the Enter key –
msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic
- On the following page, click on the Next button as shown in the below snapshot.
- Do as this troubleshooter says, and you will overcome the Printer error in no time.
4] Disable the Windows 10 managing Printers automatically
Windows 10 works on users’ behalf and auto manage the available printers. If you are facing the 0x00000709 error, you should disable this optional feature by opening the local settings on your PC. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Launch Settings using the Win + I key combinations.
- Select Devices thereafter Printers & Scanners.
- Switch to the right pane and unmark the checkbox against “Let Windows manage my default printer“.
- Close all running windows and Restart your PC so as to save the changes made so far.
5] Configure PointAndPrint registry
If the problem persists even after applying the above fixes, check if this is occurring because of the registry entry – PointAndPrint. You may configure this DWORD entry by opening the Command Prompt as admin. here’s how you may modify this key on the registry –
- Open CMD as an administrator.
- When the Windows console opens up, copy/paste the following –
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint" /v RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- Press Enter and see if this command runs successfully.
- If it does, restart your PC.
The error 0x00000709 should disappear from the next login.
6] Modify the Registry Editor
- Click on the Start button and type “Regedit” from your keyboard.
- Select the Registry Editor application from the best match.
- If UAC prompts on the screen, click on the Yes button to give your permission.
- In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the path –
- Move to the right pane and double-click on the Device option.
- In the popup menu, give the name of the printer inside the Value Data field.
- Clicking on the OK button, a new error may appear saying – “Cannot edit Device: Error writing the value’s new contents”.
- In this case, you need to set the permission of the key.
- So, go to the left pane and right-click on the Windows folder as shown in the below snapshot.
- Select Permission on the context menu.
- Go to the Group or user names section, and select Restricted.
- Again, go to the Permissions for Restricted section and mark the checkbox next to the Full Control and Read option.
- Finally, click on Apply and then OK.
- There is a UserSelectDefault option in the right pane.
- Right-click on this option and rename it as the printer name.
- Now, reboot your computer and that’s it.
7] Update the Printer Drivers
The presence of obsolete printer drivers may also result in Error 0x00000709 on Windows 10 PC. To rule out this section, you must update all the Print drivers using the below steps –
- Right-click on the Win Icon and select Device Manager.
- On the following screen, expand the arrow next to the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.
- When this section opens up, right-click again on the “USB composite device” and tap Update driver. See the Snapshot below –
- Next, choose “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
- The System will take care of the remaining things. Wait for a while and let the Device Manager do its task.
I hope the error 0x00000709 resolves by now. Let’s know in the comment section if you find any difficulty following this article.
How do I fix error 0x00000709?
If you are getting an error 0x00000709 while setting up your Printer on Windows 11/10, try uninstalling the recently installed cumulative update. In case the error persists even after this, make sure to run the printer troubleshooter, update printer drivers, modify the PointAndPrint registry, or perform a hard resetting of your Printer. Sometimes, blocking Windows 10 from auto-managing your Printer may also resolve this Printer error. So, attempt this fix as well.
Pro Tip: The error 0x00000709 may also occur when there is some issue within your Printer drivers and the system isn’t able to find that one. DriverFix is a third-party premium tool that can automatically check and find the underlying causes and resolve them.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.