Themes are a great way to personalize Windows 11 desktop as well as lock screen. There are numerous themes available on Microsoft Store that you may download and install on your computer. No matter how beautiful or mesmerizing a desktop background is, you will always get bored of it eventually.
This post presents you with options that can help to customize your Background screen, Lock screen, or Custom change in colors. If you haven’t yet tried changing the existing theme, choose between the available ones. There are a total of six themes, all of them bearing hd+ images. However, if you have already tested all themes, it’s better to switch to a new theme or start customizing background images, fonts, colors, and other things.
How to Personalize Windows 11 Themes
Windows 11 supports several other personalizing things on it like Windows spotlight, Slideshow, Pictures, and Solid Color. So, if you are bored with the current wallpaper on your screen, change it to something else. Here’s how to customize different aspects of your home as well as the lock screen on Windows 11.
1] Change Background on Windows 11
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop and select Personalize.
- The system will redirect you to Personalization under Settings.
- Head over to the right pane and click on the Background tile.
- Use the first drop-down menu and change it to anything different than your previous one. Say, for example, you were previously using the Picture mode. Select Windows spotlight and you will see a completely new set of images appearing on your desktop screen.
2] Select Custom Color for Windows and App modes
- Go to Settings > Personalization, and click on Colors.
- You may opt for either Light, Dark, or Custom Mode. If you select Custom, you have options to choose what mode it should for default Windows and for the default app.
- There’s an option to either enable or disable transparency effects on Windows and Surfaces. When you enable this transparency effect, each and every opened window will have some translucent effects on it.
- Come down to Accent color and choose between Automatic and Manual. When you opt for Automatic, the accent color will change automatically based on your current theme. However, if you don’t want this to change on its own or you want your taskbar or Start Menu bearing a specific color, change it to Manual.
- Inside Accent Color, you have options to select a particular or custom color for Windows. Users may also enable showing “Accent color on Start and taskbar” and “Accent color on title bars and windows borders“.
3] Personalize the Lock Screen
- Go to Settings > Personalization, and click to expand the Lock screen.
- Use the drop-down menu next to “Personalize your lock screen” and change it to Windows spotlight, Picture, or Slideshow.
- Under “Lock screen status“, users may opt-in between options – Calendar, Mail, or Weather. Pick anyone that well suits your liking.
- There’s an option to show the lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen. If you disable this toggle switch, you will get a blurred version of the background image on your lock screen.
- Under Related settings, you may adjust the Screen saver timer and Screen timeout.
Note: Apart from these personalizing items, you also have the option to change the current theme which is more or less similar to that of the Background tile.
Windows 11 users may customize their Start menu, taskbar, fonts, or other items available under Personalization.
How to use Contrast themes on Windows 11
When you visit Settings > Personalization > Background, you might notice the Contrast themes under Related settings. Users may use this feature for better accessibility. This feature is for those users who have vision-related issues. When you enable contrast themes on your Windows PC, the text appears more legible due to high-contrast colors.
Users who read a lot on their PCs also use this contrast theme as this smoothes book or pdf reading on Windows. Here’s how to work on this feature –
- Go to Settings > Accessibility and click Contrast themes on the right pane.
- Four different options are available there, and they are Dusk, Aquatic, Desert, and Night sky.
- Select anyone using the drop-down menu and hit the Apply button. Your desktop screen will now change to the chosen mode on your Windows 11 PC.
Can I customize Contrast themes as well?
Yes, it’s possible to personalize the contrast themes on Windows 11 as well. After you have decided which contrast theme to go for, click Edit instead of Apply.
- On the next screen, choose a color for different modes such as – Background, Text, Hyperlink, Inactive text, Button text, or Selected text.
After you have assigned a color for different things under a “Contrast theme”, click Save as. Provide a new name to this custom theme and the system will save it for future usage.
Note: It’s quite easy to enable or disable a Contrast Theme on Windows 11 using a shortcut key. This hotkey to that is – “Left Alt key” + “Left Shift key” + “Print Screen”.
How to Change the current theme on Windows 11
Windows 11 comes out of the box with a refreshing look, yet there are things that you may use to personalize themes on your device. The easiest of them is by downloading a theme from Microsoft Store.
Switching between themes on Windows 11 is quite easy. By default, Windows 11 has six premium sets of wallpapers. The first two consist of single wallpaper and they are Windows (light) and Windows (dark). Other than these two, there are four themes as well which are Glow, Captured Motions, Sunrise, and Flow. All these themes have a total of 4 images on them.
If you are bored of using the same wallpaper or theme over and over again, follow these steps to change the current theme on Windows 11 –
- Press Win + I to launch Settings.
- Select Personalization on the left navigation and head over to the right pane.
- Scroll down to the Themes tile, and click on it.
- Select any theme as per your liking, and click once on that.
- The system will automatically change your current theme to the chosen one.
Can I download more themes on my Windows 11 PC?
Yes, it is possible that you to download and install a theme from Microsoft Store. There are numerous free and premium themes available solely for Windows 11. Windows 11 users may even use Windows 10 themes and apply them to their current devices.
If you do know the name of a theme, you may directly for its name over Microsoft Store. Alternatively, open Settings and click Personalisation. Select Themes and when it expands, click Browse themes beside “Get more themes from Microsoft Store“.
The system will take you to the Microsoft Store next. You may use the filters drop-down menu available on the top-right end for a custom search. After you install a theme successfully on your computer, just click on it once and the same will be applied to your Desktop screen.
How do I delete a downloaded theme from Microsoft Store?
The pictures that you saw while inspecting a theme may vary after you apply that theme on your computer. Since you are not liking the installed theme on your device, it’s better to delete that. Microsoft allows deleting all downloaded themes on Windows 11 PC. For this, go to Settings > Personalization > Themes. Right-click on any theme and click the Delete button.
The downloaded theme and all its resources will be removed from your system. Make sure to restart your PC so that any leftover or residual files delete as well.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.