Error code 0x800704cf is one of the most annoying issues that Windows 10 users tackle while configuring the internet or access Microsoft apps. Usually, this problem arises while trying to connect the PC to the Network or log into Microsoft account, Outlook, Email, OneNote, etc. This synchronizes the specific device or app after updating the Windows thus generating such bugs. Today, in this blog post, we discourse different solutions to manually fix this issue.
The prime culprits behind the Error code 0x800704cf are incorrect settings of TCP/IP, malfunctioning Network devices, and using a local user account to sign in. Change adapter settings, Reset Transmission Control Protocol and re-install Network device may fix this trouble on Windows 10 PC. Run Windows Troubleshooter and sign-in using Microsoft account will help you to diagnose this anomaly that occurs during file-sharing or accessing any specific app.
Ways to fix Error code 0x800704cf on Windows 10
Here are the step-wise workarounds to fix Error code 0x800704cf on Windows 10 PC.
Fix: Network Error code 0x800704cf on Windows 10
Sometimes the error codes appear while trying to share the files or folder to the connected devices. In this situation, the transfer halts in between with an error message ” Error code: 0x800704cf. The network location cannot be reached.” To resolve this trouble, you should check whether the connected adapter and Domain are working properly or not.
1} Change adapter settings
The Network Adapter is a hardware component that confirms the proper data transfer between your PC and the connected device. If you are unable to share the data with another computer, you must alter its settings. Follow these guidelines to reach out to the Network Sharing center and perform the necessary changes-
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Settings from the pop-up menu.
- When the Settings app appears, hit Network and Internet option.
- Switch to the corresponding right-hand side and click the “Change adapter” option.
- All of the possible network connections will appear here. Make a right-click on the current WiFi or Ethernet and choose Properties from the context menu.
- Thereupon, untick the checkbox against the Client for Microsoft Network then tap OK to confirm the changes. See the Snapshot below-
- Once the above task finishes, Restart your PC and see if the Network Error 0x800704cf appears or not while being on WiFi connectivity.
2} Reset TCP/IP stack
The Transmission Control Protocol comprises a few rules that establish the Internet connectivity on your PC. In case, there are some wrong setup changes in this tool, enhance the chances of Error code 0x800704cf on your system. Reset the TCP/IP may work as a troubleshooting guide in such scenarios-
- Click on the Search icon available at the Taskbar and type cmd in the search area.
- Henceforth, do the right-click on Command Prompt option and select Run as administrator.
- If the UAC prompt comes in view, tap Yes to permit the access.
- Next, execute the following code-
- This command will clean the DNS cache that is a possible reason behind Error code 0x800704cf while connecting to the Network.
- Succeeding after, you need to refresh the NetBIOS name. Just execute this command-
- Moving ahead, run the below command lines to reset the Internet Protocol (IP) and Winsock Catalog.
netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset
- Once you run these commands successfully, Restart your PC to save the changes made so far.
3} Reinstall Network Adapters
Network Adapter plays a pivotal role in connecting your PC to the Internet, however, there may appear some bugs while performing this task. To avoid this issue, uninstall then re-install network adapter by following these easy steps-
- Press Window key and R altogether to open the Run dialog.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the text box and hit Enter key, this will launch the Device Manager.
- Now expand Network adapters to see all the related drivers installed on your system.
- Subsequently, right-click on each item and select the Uninstall from the context menu.
- If a confirmation message appears, select Uninstall to confirm the changes.
- Repeat this process, till all the adapters are removed.
- At last, Reboot your machine and use the Network connection without any interruption.
Fix: 0x800704cf error when login to Microsoft account
Sometimes Network Error 0x800704cf may auto-appear while trying to sign in to OneDrive, Microsoft Store, Email, OneNote, and other apps. This is really irritating as it prevents access to these apps. The error message which users encounter reads-
“The network location cannot be reached, Please connect your internet.”
1. Run Windows Troubleshooter
The Windows Troubleshooter is a straightforward way to diagnose the problem and fix this. Here is how to troubleshoot-
- Jointly press Win+I hotkey to launch Settings.
- On the new window, select Update & Security followed by Troubleshoot on the left column.
- Switch to the corresponding right-hand side and move downward to find Network Adapter.
- Once located, click on the same and press Run the Troubleshooter button.
- Keep patience until your system scans the faults.
- Now, select your current source of net connectivity then Next to resolve this problem.
- At last, Restart your system so that changes made so far come into effect.
2} Sign in with Microsoft account
When you sign in using a local account, by-default it synchronizes all the running applications of your system. As a result, Error code 0x800704cf appears. To fix this problem, you should logon using a Microsoft account. Here’s how to proceed-
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select the Settings on the Power menu.
- Next, choose Accounts thereafter Your Info from the left pane.
- Succeeding after, do the click on Login to your Microsoft account option.
- Afterward, put your credentials in the respective fields to sign in thereafter create a PIN.
- Once you successfully set up the account, move back to the Your Info and choose Verify option.
- Here, select either the text Message or other ways to verify your Microsoft account.
Once you successfully follow the above steps, this will fix the error code 0x800704cf. Thus you won’t get this error message while trying to access any particular app.
Note: In case, you have already signed in with your Microsoft account and facing this bug, change the login Admin account with a local account and follow the above-mentioned steps.