Did you also get the activation of Windows 10 trouble on your System? Well, here in this article we will cover some important workarounds to get Windows 10 product key or Digital License. This will enable you to activate your genuine Windows 10 OS. Running a deactivated operating system can bring several problems like you won’t be able to access most of the inbuilt apps, widgets, and settings. Again if you love to personalize your Desktop on a regular basis, you can’t do the same. Therefore, Let’s move to learn how to get Windows 10 product key.
Activation not only helps in personalize your Desktop and use of different apps but it verifies that your copy of Windows is legitimate. Once the Windows 10 file is proved genuine, you can get the security patches on your system. Otherwise, you are just using the counterfeit or cracked version which is prone to cyber/ malware attack. In simple terms, you are using the limited services of Windows 10 at the cost of personal data.
It doesn’t matter how you get the copy of Windows 10, you require a 25-character Product Key or a digital license to activate the current OS. Product Key and the Digital License are two different things and can’t be substituted for one another. Read this article carefully to get Windows 10 Product Key or Digital License on your System.
Here is how to get Windows 10 product key
There are mainly four different places from where you can have the genuine file of Windows 10. These are –
- Authorized Dealer: If you have purchased Windows 10 genuine file from an authorized dealer, you can find the product key on a label or card inserted inside the Windows 10 box. If you don’t find the same, contact your retailer or the hardware manufacturer.
- Windows 10 pre-installed New PC: If you have recently purchased a pre-installed Windows 10 PC offline/ online, the system must have been activated with the product key. If that’s not the case, look for the product key on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) which comes along with the new PC.
- Digital Copy from Microsoft: If you have purchased a digital copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft Website, you will get the digital license enclosed in your confirmed Email-id. The Digital License works exactly the same as that of the Product key. To get more info, visit Microsoft Support.
- Windows 10 Free upgrade: If you were previously using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, then upgrade your OS to Windows 10 free of cost. All you require is the digital license.
What is a digital license?
A digital license (sometimes also referred to as digital entitlement) is the key to activate your Windows 10 without using the product key. Keep this in mind that you can get the digital license only for those operating systems that were earlier activated on Windows 7 or 8.1.
The digital license works similarly to that of the product key. While updating the OS if required, enter the digital license instead of the product key and select the continue option to complete the upgrade.
Note: Digital License is linked to your Microsoft account. Thus it makes the activation process quite easy. Just log in using your Microsoft Account credential and you are set to do the activation on Windows Devices having Internet.
If you don’t have either i.e. Product Key or Digital License, you can get this easily by following these steps:
- Press Win logo and I hotkey to launch Settings.
- Here, under the Update & Security category hit the Activation tab.
- Now move to the right pane and select Go to Store option. You can directly buy the Windows 10 Product Key/ Digital License from here.
- If you try invalid product key, you will start getting the error code 0x803F7001 instead of Go to Store option.
- Moreover, you can go directly to the Microsoft Official website and have a valid Product Key or Digital License.
- Once you receive the same, scroll down in the above figure and hit Change Product Key option.
- Type the 25-character Product Key here and this will activate your Windows 10 copy.
Some Important Points:
Microsoft doesn’t store the list of purchased Windows 10 product keys.
If you are having a motherboard issue or some other hardware problem and want to reinstall Windows 10 on your system, you can have a look at Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.
If you have Windows 10 product key, visit the official website to learn how to create installation media for Windows.
That would be All!!