Recently, a few users complained about facing the 0x87e00017 error when they try to install new games or update the existing ones. This bug is prevailing mostly to those users who use game passes on their computers. The Xbox Game Pass by Microsoft is basically a video subscription service that its users can avail to install several games on their computers.
If you too are struggling to install new games on your device, then try out these five workarounds sequentially –
- Clear Microsoft Store cache
- Update Steam/Xbox services
- Use Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Use the Xbox beta app
- Download and Install Pending Updates
Xbox or Store Error 0x87e00017 Solutions
Before applying any of the workarounds discussed below, we suggest checking the following prerequisites. If you don’t meet any of the following conditions, make sure that your PC complies with all these requirements –
- Enough HDD Storage: The first thing that you must ensure is the required storage space on the hard disk. If you don’t have enough storage spaces on the HDD, such errors may appear time and again.
- Launch Game as an Administrator: Next, check if the game at hand requires Admin privileges or not. If this does, make a right-click on the Game app and choose Run as Administrator.
- Sign in to the Game providing the correct Game Pass: The Xbox console game passes don’t work on a Windows 10 device. However, it may do so only after you qualify for the ultimate Xbox game pass.
If you do meet all of the above prerequisites and the game still won’t work, you may try out the below suggestions –
1] Clear Microsoft Store cache
Clearing the store cache resolves almost all the issues including 0x87e00017. Here’s how you can clear Microsoft Store cache on Windows 10 PC –
- Launch Command Prompt having administrative privileges.
- On the elevated console, type
wsreset.exe, and press Enter.
- Wait for a while as the code starts running and clearing the Store cache.
- When this process completes, Microsoft Store will launch automatically.
Reset Xbox Game Pass cache
After clearing the Microsoft Store cache, clean Xbox Games Pass cache as well. Doing so will fix any issue that arises due to accumulated cache. Here’s how to reset Xbox Game pass cache –
- Press Win + S to launch the search bar, and type “Xbox Game pass” in the text field.
- Right-click on the top result and hit App settings.
- On the upcoming screen, scroll down to the Reset button, and click on it.
- If there appears any prompt asking for your consent, hit Reset again.
2] Update Steam/Xbox services
If you are receiving the 0x87e00017 error while playing any games on the computer, make sure to update all game-related services as well. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Click the basket icon to start the Microsoft Store application.
- Go to the top-right corner and click the three horizontal dots.
Downloads and Updatesoption.
- On the upcoming screen, go to the top-right corner again, and click Get Updates.
- Doing so will download and install any pending updates for either Steam or Xbox console.
After updating the related services, try playing the game again. The error 0x87e00017 should not appear again.
3] Use Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
If the 0x87e00017 error still appears while playing games, run Windows Store apps troubleshooter –
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Jump to the right side and click Additional troubleshooters.
- On the upcoming screen, select
Windows Store apps, and hit Run the troubleshooter.
- The troubleshooter will immediately start looking for the underlying issues. If it provides any fix, hit
Apply this fixbutton.
- After applying the fix, restart your PC.
Note: If the error 0x87e00017 is occurring only for a specific game, reset that particular game using the below steps –
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select the top option i.e. Apps and Features.
- On the right pane, scroll down to the problematic app, and right-click on it.
- Hit Advanced options on the extended pane.
- On the succeeding screen, scroll down and click Reset.
- When a pop-up appears asking your permission, click Reset again.
4] Use the Xbox beta app to Fix 0x87e00017
If you are getting the 0x87e00017 error while playing games on the Xbox console, try installing the beta version of this application.
- Go to the Xbox beta site, and click
DOWNLOAD THE APP.
- After the download completes, open the folder containing the setup file, and double-click on it.
- Accept all terms and conditions to install Xbox beta app.
- You may now use this new console to install any game that was causing trouble previously.
5] Download and Install Pending Updates
If none of the above workarounds resolve the 0x87e00017 error, you’re left with only one option i.e. clean install Windows 10. In case you don’t want to go for this, try installing all of the pending updates – Security or optional. Here’s how to search for pending updates and install them –
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Head over to the right side and click the Check for updates button.
- The system will then check for any pending updates online and if available, the same gets automatically downloaded and installed.
I hope you are now able to start Store apps or play games without encountering the 0x87e00017 error.