This article will show how you can wipe your hard drive and reinstall Windows 10. This method is quite beneficial to improve the system performance when your computer is not functioning correctly or when it is running sluggish.
The fresh installation is one of the best ways to remove viruses and other malware. In this article, we will discuss two different methods with detailed steps to wipe the Hard drive out and reinstall Windows 10.
Wipe Hard drive and reinstall Windows 10
Before proceeding to the main part, make sure you have a backup of your device and files. If not, then first create the backup file.
Follow the below methods to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows 10:
1. By resetting your PC
Using the Reset this PC feature will help you clean install your PC. Here are the steps to do so:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security > Recovery (In the left pane).
- Now click on Get started button under the Reset this PC section.
- Select the Remove everything option. This will remove all of your personal files, apps, and settings.
- On the next page, choose the Cloud Download option. You can select the Local reinstall option if you want to use the local image.
- Next click on the Change settings option.
- Now turn on the toggle switch for Download Windows, Clan data, and Delete files from all drives.
- Hit the Confirm > Next.
- Again click on the Next button.
- Now hit the Reset button.
After following the above instructions, it will erase all the data from your hard drive and download a fresh copy of Windows 10 in your system.
2. Using USB media
Alternatively, you can use USB media to erase all the data from your hard disk and then perform a clean installation of Windows 10. Here are the steps to do so:
- Start your computer with USB bootable media.
- Tap any key to continue and then click Next > Install now.
- On the Windows Setup screen, select the I don’t have a product key link.
- Select the operating system you want to install from the list.
- Check the box beside I accept the license terms > Next button.
- Choose the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) installation option.
- Choose that partition of your Hard drive where you want to install Windows 10.
- Then hit the Delete button to erase the drive.
- Now select the erased hard drive partition to install Windows 10.
- Click on the Next button to start the installation process. Wait for the completion of the installation.
- On the Out-of-the-box experience (OOBE) page, choose your region and hit the Yes button.
- Thereafter select the Keyboard layout and hit the Yes button.
- In this case, when you don’t need to configure a second keyboard layout, then tap the Skip button.
- The system will connect automatically with the Ethernet network. But if you are using a wireless network, you will need to connect the system manually.
- Users with Windows 10 Pro should select the Set up for personal use and hit the Next button.
- Now confirm your email, phone number, or Skype for the Microsoft account.
- Hit Next.
- Confirm the password for your Microsoft account and hit Next.
- Tap on the Create a PIN button.
- In the Windows Security screen, create your New PIN under the Set up a PIN section.
- Hit OK and then choose the privacy settings that suit you best.
- Now hit the Accept button
- If you want to use your Timeline across devices then hit the Yes button.
- Skip the linking of your phone to your PC by tapping on Do it later. You can link your phone number later using Settings.
- Click Next. This will allow the OneDrive to backup your Desktop, documents, and pictures folders to the cloud automatically. Or you can select the
Only save file to this PC.
- Skip Office 365 setup by clicking No, thanks.
- If you want to use Cortana, then click on the Accept button.
The above steps will wipe out the hard drive and reinstall a fresh Windows 10 in your system. I hope this article helps you.