Microsoft unveils Windows 10 Build 18956 20H1 for Insiders in the Fast ring. In this announcement, the Company has introduced a newly redesigned Network Status page in Windows Settings. You can try them out to collect more information at a glance about your device’s connectivity. They bring some new advancements for the Chinese IME like key customization, toggling conversion mode, etc.
Apart from the new entrances, they address the new experience of Cortana, Tamper Protection, unexpectedly dismiss of UI, and others. Some earlier bugs continue to exist on this Build 18956 as well like- Realtek SD card reader, Anti-cheat software on High-end games and, Japanese IME.
What’s new in Windows 10 Build 18956 20H1
A redesigned Network Status page in Settings
Microsoft technicians have revamped the Network & Internet landing page in Settings to provide more information at a glance about your device’s connectivity. It incorporates several pages to offer you one clear view of how you are connected to the internet.
- New view of active connections: With this update, they will now show all available connection interfaces on the Status page, so that you can instantly observe what is connected and view and change properties as necessitated. Although if you have numerous connections, only one will be used for internet connectivity at a time. Whereas, that one is still shown in the Status diagram at the top of the page.
- Integrated Data Usage: By installing build 18956, You will be able to detect what amount of data is being consumed by a network right from the Status page. If it looks a lot of data, you can drill into the Data Usage page to create a limit for that network. This will warn you if you get close or cross the limit. Besides, you can also notice how much data each app is using on that network.
Traditional Chinese IME Improvements
The development team has been working on enhancing the quality and fixing bugs based on the requirement.
Bopomofo, ChangJie, and Quick IMEs: The team has enhanced the speed of toggling conversion mode ([中] mode and [英] mode). Now you can switch between the two faster.
- Build 18956 enhanced the keyboard shortcut, however, they also added a new setting if you want to disable it. By default, this service is enabled. If you have to access this setting, simply make a right-click the [中/英] icon in the taskbar. After that navigate to the following path – Click Settings > General > “Use Shift + Space to switch character width”.
- Microsoft team also provides you the ability to change the candidate font size, if you notice that you need it to be a bit bigger. However, you can still change the system font size under- Ease of Access > Display > Make text bigger.
They also fixed issues:
- They resolved the issue where the candidates were experiencing disappearing issue regarding their numbers from the candidate window.
- “Shift+Number” wasn’t working for selecting an associated phrase.
Notification settings improvements now rolling out to all of Fast
They have now started to roll these out to all Insiders. To recap what you’ll observe when you have the change-
- You’ll now notice a settings icon when you hover your mouse cursor over an incoming notification. This will make easy to adjust the notification settings of the application.
- For visual clarity and accuracy, the company has updated the design of the per-app notification settings.
- You can now locate a link to notification settings directly. It is available at the top of the Action Centre.
- The notifications & Action Settings now has a checkbox. This will mute the sound of all notifications.
- By default, the senders in Notifications & Action Settings are now arranged by “most recently sent a notification.”
Cortana rollout increasing to more Insiders using English (United States)
The company is expanding the release of the new Cortana experience. It now increases to 50% Insiders using English (United States). You may need to restart your device before you see the change on your PC.
Other Updates for Insiders
Calculator app updates
In the forthcoming days, the company will start to roll out a Calculator app update to Insiders in the Fast ring. Besides, this app adds the ability to put Calculator in an Always on Top mode. Once you have the updated version, you’ll be able to switch into the Always on Top mode. To do this, just click on the icon next to the calculator mode name.
General improvements and fixes – 20H1 Build 18956
Here are the key features that came along with Build 18956 for 20H1-
- The company is in the process of giving back the Tamper Protection to being on by default for all Insiders. This change displayed on your PC across the subsequent few weeks.
- The team resolved an issue where, if snipping via Print Screen was allowed, some specific UI would unexpectedly dismiss before it could be held in the snip.
- Build 18956 resolved an issue emerging in the touch keyboard button not launching the touch keyboard on certain devices.
- The tech community rectified an issue where, if you dragged File Explorer while the search drop-down was visible, the drop-down could end up disconnected from the search box.
- They revisory an issue where, if a search was in progress in File Explorer, then it’d take two clicks on the X to clear the search results.
- The tech community rectified an issue where using the “Automatically type into Search Box” view setting would result in the first letter of your File Explorer search being dropped.
- With Windows 10 Build 18956, explorer.exe will not crash. This normally used to happen when you try to search File Explorer starting in a OneDrive folder of OneDrive was not running.
- The developer team has rectified an issue where File Explorer recent searches were not disabled when the group policy “Turn off display of recent search entries in the File Explorer search box” was enabled.
- Microsoft team resolved an issue resulting in some Insiders encountering a taskbar search crash right after log-in.
- The tech community rectified an issue where Homegroup options might still appear in the “Give access to” File Explorer context menu entry, despite the Homegroup feature no longer being available.
Known Issues on Windows 10 Build 18956
There appears a few known bugs as well on this build. They are as follow-
- After installing Windows 10 May 2019 update, a few users are continuously experiencing crashes of their PCs. This bug arises primarily when they play high-end games along with anti-cheat software. To fix this trouble, several games have already rolled patches. All you require is to visit the official webpages of specific games and download the latest version. Windows 10 20H1 insiders are also noticing their PCs crashing. The team is currently close-working with the game as well as anti-cheat developers to address this issue.
- Some of the Realtek SD card readers are still not working efficiently. The Company is working on this issue.
- If connected to a cellular plan, the network stays incorrect yet users can browse easily.
- Microsoft is looking into a bug that appears while using Japanese IME. Owing to this issue, candidate selection under prediction doesn’t match with its corresponding composition string.