Some Windows 10 users came across an error code 0xc1900208 while trying to upgrade their PC to the latest version. The major cause of this problem might be the installed incompatible applications or programs on the computer. If you’re also dealing with the error code 0xc1900208 on your device, you must remove these incompatible applications first.
If you don’t know the correct way to remove the incompatible application, this article will help you do so. So, let’s explore it.
How to Fix Update Error 0xc1900208
To fix update error 0xc1900208, use the following workaround –
1] Remove the Incompatible application
Incompatible programs or applications are the major reason to cause this issue. So, if you’re dealing with this error, you first need to remove or uninstall these incompatible applications installed on your computer and then try to upgrade your PC.
To remove the incompatible applications, do the following –
- Press Win+E keys to launch File Explorer.
- In the address bar, copy and paste the following path and press Enter –
- Inside the Panther folder, look out the compat*.xml file with the latest timestamp.
- Once you find, open it with the text editor you prefer.
- In the text editor window, you will get the name of the incompatible program that you’re searching for.
- Note down the incompatible app and then right-click on Start and select Apps and Features.
- Now locate the same incompatible app from the file list and then uninstall it from your PC.
- Restart your computer and try to upgrade again.
2] Reset Windows Update Components
Resetting Windows Update Components is another method you can try to fix error 0xc1900208 on your Windows 10 computer. To do this, follow the below steps and run the commands –
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Now run the following commands to stop the update-related services. Make sure to press Enter after each command –
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
- Run the below code next to remove all user profiles –
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- Reach out to the System32 folder by running this code –
cd /d %windir%\system32
- After entering the System32 folder, re-register all DLL files by running the codes below –
regsvr32.exe atl.dll regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe browseui.dll regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe msxml.dll regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe softpub.dll regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe ole32.dll regsvr32.exe shell32.dll regsvr32.exe initpki.dll regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll regsvr32.exe wups.dll regsvr32.exe wups2.dll regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll regsvr32.exe muweb.dll regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- Now run the below commands to rest the network and Proxy –
netsh winsock reset netsh winhttp reset proxy
- Restart the services that you had stopped earlier –
net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
After running the above commands, restart your computer and try to update your PC again. This workaround will possibly solve the Windows Update error 0xc1900208.
That’s it. I hope after trying the above solutions, the issue has been fixed.