Windows 10 has always been an easy target for different error codes, so Microsoft regularly releases security updates to address them. The update error 0x80071a91 was detected recently when users attempted to run Windows updates. It prevents them from downloading the Windows update.
This error most often occurs because the File System Resource Manager (FSRM) service is blocked, but there may also be other causes of this error. These articles will provide you with the proper solutions that you can use to resolve this issue. Let’s explore them.
What Causes Windows Update Error Code 0x80071a91?
A 0x80071a91 error may occur when the following happens: “Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error.” The reason for this could be many, but it happens when the File System Resource Manager (FSRM) Service does not work as expected.
Windows 10 Update Error 0x80071a91
To fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x80071a91, use the following methods –
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Reset the FSRM Service
- Temporarily disable your Antivirus
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder
- Delete Common Log File System (CLFS) transaction logs
- Restart the Windows Update Services.
1] Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a built-in troubleshooter tool that you can use to detect and fix common problems automatically. The procedure to troubleshoot the Windows Update is as follows –
- Right-click on Start and select Settings.
- Click on the Update & Security category.
- Then select the Troubleshoot tab.
- Click the Additional troubleshooters option on the right.
- Select Windows Update and then hit the Run the troubleshooter button.
This will check for the available pending start and fix the problem if it finds. Once it gets done, close the window and restart your computer.
2] Reset the FSRM Service
The primary cause of the error is the intervention of the File System Resource Manager (FSRM) service. To fix this problem, you need to reset this service by running a command in Command Prompt. The procedure is as follows –
- Open Command Prompt with admin access.
- On the next screen, type the below command and press Enter to run it –
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
Note: In the above command, C: denotes the drive where you have installed the Windows.
After running the above command, restart your computer and try to update your Windows.
If you’re still getting the same error, try the next method.
3] Temporarily disable your Antivirus
Sometimes anti-virus programs conflict with the Windows Update process resulting in this error. If you’re using any third-party antivirus program then turn it off temporarily and see if it helps anymore.
4] Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
The Update Error 0x80071a91 can also occur due to the corrupted and damaged Windows Components. To fix this error, you may need to rename the SoftwareDistribution folders. Here is the procedure –
- First of all, open the elevated command prompt.
- Click the Yes button to approve the UAC window.
- Once it opens, run the below commands to stop the related services. Don’t forget to hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
- After that, type the following commands and hit Enter after each command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder –
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Once you rename the old stores, restart the services that you stopped earlier. To do this, type the following command and hit Enter after each one –
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- Finally, restart your computer to apply the changes.
After renaming the SoftwareDistribution Folder, check for the update error code 0x80071a91. If it’s still showing, try then move on to the next method
5] Delete Common Log File System (CLFS) transaction logs
In this method, we will delete the Common Log File System (CLFS) transaction logs through the elevated command prompt. The procedure is as follows –
- Open the Run dialog using the Win + R keys.
- Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to run the command prompt as administrator.
- If UAC prompts on the screen, click Yes to continue.
- Now type the below commands one by one and press Enter after each command to execute it:
cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine attrib -s -h * del *.blf del *.regtrans-ms
- After running the above commands, restart your computer and see if it solves the problem. If not, try the next solution.
6] Restart the Windows Update Services
If the above methods don’t work, chances are there your Windows Update services are disabled. In this case, you need to open the Service Manager and restart them. Here’s how to do this:
- Click on Start, type Services, and hit the Enter key.
- On the next screen, scroll down to the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and then open it.
- In the Properties window, set Startup type as Manual.
- Also, Start the Service status if it is stopped.
- Click on the OK button to save the changes.
In the same way, make sure the following services are started and their Startup type is as follows:
- Cryptographic Services – Automatic
- Windows Update – Manual
That’s it. I hope this article helps you fix this error.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.