Windows is the easiest OS that Microsoft offers. It provides lots of functions and regular updates with new features. However, sometimes it also throws different errors while updating or upgrading Windows. One such error encountered by the users while updating Windows is Update Error 0x80070002. Users working on different Windows versions like Windows 10/8/7 have experienced this issue.
This error shows system failure which restricts the user from accessing new updates. With this error code, you may also see some additional errors like 80244001 and 80244022. Here are the complete guidelines to help you in solving such errors. The following message can be seen if such error has incurred – “
Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: code 80070002. Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
Windows Update Error 0x80070002
Use the following methods to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070002:
Note: Make sure to take a backup of your personal files before making any changes for preventing data loss.
1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The most popular and highly used method of resolving errors in Windows 10 is by running Windows Update Troubleshooter. By default, it is integrated with the operating system. Here is how we do it –
- Click on Start.
- Select Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security.
- Go to Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters.
- Click on the Windows Update and then hit the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Wait until finished.
- Then restart your PC and check for the error code.
2. Check Time & Date
The first and foremost method of resolving error code 0x80070002 is to check whether the time and date are correct. This small change can make big difference in the process of updating Windows. In case Time & Date is incorrect reset it through the following steps –
- Right-click on Start.
- Select the Settings option.
- Inside the Settings app, go to Time & Language.
- Click on the Date & time option.
- Turn off the toggle button next to the Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically options.
- Click on the Change button and set the new Date & Time.
- Restart your computer check if the error has been rectified.
3. Disable Antivirus/ Firewall Temporarily
Many antiviruses come with a firewall technology that restricts foreign access to make changes in the user’s OS. Such security features are necessary to protect the system from hacking but it may also omit the new updates to make changes in your computer. Therefore, sometimes disabling the anti-virus for a time being helps in making new changes to the computer.
4. Run System File Checker
System File Checker (SFC) scan helps to restore the broken and missing files in the computer. This tool also helps in correcting buggy Windows. Here is how we use it to eliminate error code 0x80070002 –
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
- Type following command & press Enter to execute the command:
- After completion, restart your PC.
5. Remove Software Distribution Folder
We can also try resetting Windows update by deleting the Software Distribution Folder in Windows hard drive. This folder consists of temporary files which could be corrupted and interrupt Windows update. Take up the following steps for deleting files from the software distribution folder :
- Right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- If UAC prompts on the screen, click the Yes button.
- In the elevated window, type the run the following commands one by one –
net stop wuauserv net stop bits
- After running the above commands, open File Explorer using Win+E and then navigate to the location:
- In the SoftwareDistribution folder, select all the files and delete them.
- After deleting the files, again open the elevated command prompt and run the following commands:
net start wuauserv net start bits
- This will restart the Windows Update Services.
6. Restart Windows Update Services
The easiest way to fix this error in Windows 10 is by restarting the Updates services. You can follow the below commands restarting Windows update services.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
- Type the following and press Enter after each command:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- Restart the PC and check if the error is fixed.
7. Try Resetting the Winsock Catalog
If the Windows update and other services are running as they should, let us try solving the problem by resetting the Winsock Catalog. Take the below steps to solve error code 0x80070002:
- Open Run dialog box using Windows+R keys.
- Type “cmd” in the text field and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- Click on the Yes button if UAC prompts on the screen.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command:
netsh winsock reset
- Press Enter to run the command.
- Once the process finishes, restart your PC and try updating your Windows.