Today, we discuss one of the nagging issues i.e. BSOD Error code 0xc0000001 on your PC, its causes and probable solutions. In general, this bug arises primarily when you are updating the Windows 10 OS. By default, missing system files, recent applications, and fault in hardware are the sole reasons behind this trouble. Usually, failed to install Windows may cause this BSOD Error code 0xc0000001 or more. Here, we depict some easy methods to bypass this problem.
To encounter this bug, you must require Windows 10 Installation Media then only follow the below-mentioned troubleshooting guides one after another. Rebuild obsolete BCD codes, Use System Restore point, Repair corrupt Windows 10 files, and scan the HDD efficiency using the chkdsk command may address this trouble. To repair corrupt core files, try running the SFC scan and DISM command.
Ways to solve Error code 0xc0000001 on Windows 10
Here are the stepwise workarounds to fix the Error code 0xc0000001 while installing Windows 10 OS.
Note: While running below fixes, you must be careful as any wrongdoing may create some other bugs.
Create Windows 10 Installation Media
Since this is a BSOD type error, you will need Windows installation media to repair the underlying cause. If you don’t have a Media Creation Tool, you can create the same manually by following these steps-
Step-1: Firstly, visit the official website then click the Download tool now to save the setup file.
Step-2: Subsequently, accept the license terms and conditions.
Step-3: Now choose the option Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC then hit Next to go ahead.
Step-4: Thereupon, select the USB flash drive and wait till the setup file is downloading.
Note: Make sure the USB drive contains at least 8 GB space.
Step-5: Once you ensure the above prerequisites, Remove the secondary device and plug it into the problematic PC and try below troubleshooting guide.
1. Uninstall the Problematic Software in Safe Mode
Sometimes, the recently installed apps restrict the installation of new updates on your system. As a result, error code 0xc0000001 may appear. To avert this problem, uninstall the recent apps following below steps-
We have already discussed this is a BSOD error, so you can’t access the log-in screen. To launch the Display Screen, you need to open your PC in Safe Mode. Here’s how to proceed-
- Press and hold down the Power button approximately 5 seconds to launch the Preparing Automatic Repair window.
- In case, you don’t receive this page, repeat this process 3 times.
- After a few seconds, the Automatic Repair window will pop-up, here select the Advanced options button.
- Henceforth, click on the Troubleshoot then Advanced Options again.
- Now, hit Startup settings then Restart to complete further processes.
- Here, Choose either F4 to enable safe mode or F5 for Safe mode with networking.
Uninstall the application
- When the login window appears, Press Win and I hotkey to launch Settings.
- Succeeding after, select Apps category followed by Apps & Features.
- Again on the corresponding right pane, scroll down and select the app that you have recently installed.
- Here, click on the Uninstall button then Uninstall again to confirm the deletion.
- Once finished, Restart your PC normally and check whether the error code 0xc0000001 is resolved or not. If not, move to the further workarounds-
2. Run the SFC scan
System File checker is one of the most effective tools to fix several error codes. It is thereby recommended to run this command line before proceeding to other workarounds-
- Plug-in the Windows Installation Media and Restart your system.
- Subsequently, press the Motherboard’s supported function key to launch the boot Repair.
- Once the Choose an Options page appears, navigate to the following options one by one-
Troubleshoot-> Advanced options-> Command Prompt
- On the Prompt, type sfc/scannow code and hit Enter key.
This is a time taking process, hence wait accordingly.
- Once over, complete installing Windows 10 and Restart your System normally.
Hope this time you can do the installation without getting the BSOD error code 0xc0000001.
3. Check the hard drive
The presence of a bad sector on the HDD may also arise this error code 0xc0000001 and thus restrict the installation of Windows 10. To manage this bug, you need to check the working performance of the disk. Here’s how to proceed-
Step-1: At first, open Command Prompt using the boot Startup Repair.
Step-2: On the Prompt area type the following code and hit Enter key-
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Step-3: If there appears any confirmation message, type Y followed by
Enter Key to proceed.
Step-4: This will scan the overall disk’s health performance on the root drive and repair the same if it suspects any corrupt drive.
Step-5: After you complete the above task, Restart your system and see if the problem continues to persist.
4. Run the DISM
Similar to the SFC scan, DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) is also a default characteristic of Windows 10. You can use this service to scan and check the health of your hard disk. Here are the instructions to follow-
- Insert the Windows Installation Media on to your PC’s port then Restart your Machine.
- Press one of the function keys as per your System Model and architect to enter the boot mode.
- Thereupon, navigate to the following path-
Troubleshoot->Advanced options-> Command Prompt
- When the Console prompt appears, copy/ paste the below path next Enter Key.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
- Here C: RepairSourceWindows is the path of connected DVD or USB, hence you need to change it.
- After you finish the above steps, Reboot your system so as to see the afterward changes.
5. Repair BCD code
Boot Configuration Data is a vital part of the Windows OS. However, it may get corrupted sometimes resulting in bugs like BSOD error code 0xc0000001. If that’s the case, Repairing the BDC files may help to address this trouble-
- Plugin the USB drive to the port then Reboot your system.
- Press the function key as per your hardware configuration to launch the boot menu.
Choose an optionsScreen, select Troubleshoot thereafter Advanced Options.
- Further, choose Command Prompt among the different categories available there.
- Near the blinking surface, run the following command lines one by one. Make sure to press the Enter key at the end of each command.
- Once the above task completes, Restart your system to save the changes made so far.
6. Perform Automatic Repair
If you fail to install Windows operating system subject to BSOD error code 0xc0000001, Automatic repair may work as a troubleshooting guide. This utility tool will scan the potential bugs and try to fix the same. Here are the steps-
- At first, attach the Media Creation Tool to the respective port and Restart your PC.
- While the Windows is loading, press any key to enter boot mode.
- Thereupon, set the time and language on the next screen.
- Subsequently, move to the lower-left corner of the screen and select Repair your computer option.
- Henceforth, tap Troubleshoot under Choose an option window.
- Go ahead and choose Advanced options, afterwards Startup repair on the succeeding page.
Keep patience till the utility command restores your PC.
7. Convert NTFS drive to GPT
Changing Drive attributes from MBR to UEFI may fix this BSOD Error 0xc0000001 on your PC. Here are the steps to follow-
Step-1: Insert the Windows installation media like DVD, CD, USB flash drive to the respective port then Restart your system.
Step-2: When the Windows is loading, press the function keys such as – f2, f4, f9, f12, Del, Esc as per your System configuration.
Step-3: Select Troubleshoot on the next screen followed by Advanced options.
Step-4: Subsequently select the Command Prompt from the available options.
Step-5: Now, type diskpart near the blinking cursor followed by
Step-6: Next, type list disk then Enter to get the available list of drives on your PC.
Step-7: Choose the Disk number (either 0 or 1) depending upon the number of partitions on your HDD.
Step-8: Again, type GPT then press Enter Key. This will change the drive attribute from NTFS to GPT.
Step-9: At last, type exit then hit Enter to come out of the Console.
You can now proceed ahead to complete the installing of the Windows 10 setup file.
8. Restore System with Windows Recovery Environment
In case, the above Error code 0xc0000001 persists even after applying the above fixes, try restoring your PC using System Restore point. Here’s how to proceed-
- Attach the Windows installation tool and Restart your System multiple times to get Preparing Automatic Repair Screen.
- After a few seconds, select Troubleshoot from the Windows Recovery Environments.
- Now, choose Advanced Options followed by the System Restore from the list of categories. See the Snapshot below-
- On the new dialog asking recovery key, enter the valid passkey.
- At last, use your administrator account name & Password then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the remaining task.