The Update Error 0x800b0109 and 0x800b0100 are basically update-related issues that primarily appear when Windows 10 simply can’t install a new build or cumulative update. This bug often occurs when system files get corrupted or become obsolete. Today, in this article, we discuss some easy troubleshooting guide to fix this nagging issue.
Disable Proxy, Run the Update Troubleshooter, Repair Windows images using DISM are some possible workarounds that can fix the Update Err 0x800b0109. If the bug still persists, you should restart Bits and Windows Services using either Registry or running a batch file. Let’s explore these solutions in somewhat more detail-
Ways to resolve the Update Error 0x800b0109 on windows 10
Here, we discuss the five different workarounds that can resolve the Update Error 0x800b0109 on Windows 10 PC-
1} Disable the Proxy Settings
- At first, press Win+R to invoke the Run dialog.
- Here, type inetcpl.cpl at the void followed by the Enter Key.
- Switch over to the Connections tab and press the LAN settings.
- Henceforth, unmark the checkbox against “Use a proxy server for your LAN“.
- Lastly, hit the OK button to come out of the current window.
Now, check whether you are still receiving the Update Error 0x800b0109 or not. If yes, proceed to the next workaround-
2} Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
There lies an inbuilt tool “Update Troubleshooter” that can look for any bug on the System. All you need is to follow these simple steps to start Troubleshooting-
- Press Win+I to start the Settings app.
- Here, select Update & Security category.
- Next, select the Troubleshoot on the succeeding screen.
- Switch over to the right-pane and tap Windows Update option.
- Henceforth, hit the “Run the Troubleshooter” button.
That’s it, this will look for any update related issues and solve the same. If the Error 0x800b0109 still persists on your PC, try performing the next solution-
3} Run the DISM tool
Sometimes, there may arise some internal errors inside the Windows image which, in turn, may prohibit the upgrading of the current OS build. DISM is a command-line-tool designed specifically to rule out such bugs. Here’s how to proceed-
- At first, type Command Prompt in the search field (Win+S).
- When the well-matching result appears, select the “Run as Administrator” option on the right-wing.
- Next on the elevated prompt, execute the following command lines-
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Note: Make sure to press the Enter key at the end of each code.
- Once the above commands run successfully, close the current console.
You may now attempt to update the Windows OS again as this should work flawlessly. However, if not, try using registry tweaks.
4} Run the Following Commands using Notepad
If the above methods don’t resolve the underlying reasons behind the Update Error 0x800b0109, put the below commands in notepad and run the same as a batch file. Here are the essential steps to work upon-
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop and select New then Text Document.
- Now, double-click the newly created document and Copy/paste the following texts into it.
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution ren Download Download.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop cryptsvc cd %systemroot%\system32 ren catroot2 catroot2old net start cryptsvc
- Henceforth, head over to the File menu, select the Save As option.
- On the succeeding window, type Repair.bat under Filename thereafter select All Files using the drop-down menu in the Save as type box.
- Subsequently, select the desired location and hit the Save button.
- Lastly, close this document and go to the location where you have saved the batch file.
- Right-click on the Repair.bat file and hit “Run as Administrator” to execute the above commands.
Performing this should resolve the bugs that lie inside your PC, and you will be able to update Windows 10 OS normally. You may delete this file if the OS is updating successfully.
5} Use the Registry Editor
The Registry Editor is the core of Windows OS, hence if none of the above fixes work, you should try using some minor tweaks.
Note: Before proceeding ahead with the solution, make sure to create a full backup of the entire PC or at least important files and folders. This is essential as if anything goes wrong you should have a backup to rely upon.
- Press Win+X hotkey together to invoke the Power Menu.
- Here, select the Run dialog and type regedit near the blinking cursor.
- Next, press the Enter key to launch Registry Editor.
- If UAC prompts, tap Yes to proceed ahead.
- On the succeeding window, navigate to the following path-
Learn ways to Fix: Can’t access Registry Editor in Windows 10
- Alternatively, copy/paste the entire path in the address bar of the current window and press Enter Key. See the Snapshot below-
- Henceforth, delete the Windows Update entry. Don’t worry, as you have already created a full backup, right? Once deleted, close the Registry window.
- Now, press Win+R altogether to launch the Run dialog thereafter type services.msc at the void followed by the Enter key.
- On the next window, locate and stop Background Intelligent Transfer as well as Windows Update services. All you need is to put right-click on any service then hit STOP using the shortcut menu.
- After both the services are stopped, right-click again on each one of them and select the Start option.
- Lastly, close the current window and Restart your PC.
After the next login, the Windows Update should work normally.
Hope, the above-illustrated methods do help to resolve the Update Error 0x800b0109 on your PC.