May 2022 security patch for Windows 10 versions 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 are now available under the cumulative update “KB5013942”. By default, this patch will be available to you via Windows Update. In case, you haven’t yet received this update but want to upgrade to this security patch, manually download and install the relevant standalone package. Such packages are readily available in Microsoft Update Catalog.
Here is the complete list of the latest improvements, bug-fixes that came for Windows 10 2000 series PCs –
- Enhances the OS Build of Windows 10 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 to 19042.1706, 19043.1706, and 19044.1706 respectively.
- This update improves the security of different Windows Components and services.
Windows 10 20H2 reaches the end of service today
The KB5013942 is the last update for Windows 10 version 20H2. Moving forward, there won’t come any security or non-security update for this version as its service ends today.
Important: Use EKB KB5000736 to update to Windows 10, version 21H1.
Known Issues on KB5013942
Make sure to go through the below points before you attempt installing this security patch on your device –
- New Issue: Snip & Sketch app might fail to capture a screenshot and might fail to open using the keyboard shortcut (Windows key+shift+S).
- New Issue: After installing this update, Windows devices that use certain GPUs might cause apps to close unexpectedly or cause intermittent issues that affect some apps that use Direct3D 9. You might also receive an error in Event Log in Windows Logs/Applications, and the faulting module is d3d9on12.dll and the exception code is 0xc0000094.
- After you upgrade your device to OS Build 1904x.1706, you may encounter an error while installing new updates. The error reads – “PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING”.
- Backup and Restore (Windows 7) will not work after installing this security patch.
- Just like previous cumulative updates, KB5013942 will remove the Microsoft Legacy Edge from your computer. However, the new Chromium Edge will not be installed on your PC. You may download the new Microsoft Edge by visiting its official site.
How to Get this Update
Only after you have gone through the above issues and find it not affecting your routine work, download and apply this patch update. Else, simply disable automatic Windows updates on your computer. Here’s how to get this update –
- Windows Update: Go to
Settings > Windows Update, and hit Check for updates. The system will connect to Microsoft’s servers and look for any pending updates. If it finds any available patch for your device, the same will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Update Catalog: If you don’t get the KB5013942 patch by following the above method, visit Microsoft’s official site, and download the relevant update. Make sure to pick the update that best matches your system architecture.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.