On October 2021 Patch Tuesday, Microsoft releases a new cumulative update KB5006667 for Windows 10 version 1909. This is a security update that comes with quality improvements and increases the Build OS to 18363.1854. Updates are now rolling out through Windows Update, Microsoft Update Catalog, and WSUS with a number of bug fixes and improvements.
The new Patch Tuesday updates can be downloaded and installed by navigating into Settings, clicking on Windows Update, and then selecting Check for updates.
After you install this cumulative update, your Windows 10 1909 PC will experience the following changes:
- The company has resolved the problem preventing some applications from opening or causing them to stop responding. For instance, Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader. This problem generally occurs on devices that are protected by Microsoft Exploit Protection for Export Address Filtering (EAF).
If you previously installed updates, this update will only download and install the fixes contained in this package.
Known Issues on KB5006667
According to Microsoft, this security update has no known issues.
How to get KB5006667 Update
To install the cumulative update, you must install the SSU released on July 13, 2021 (KB5004748). You will now receive a cumulative update for your operating system and the latest servicing stack update. With SSUs, the update process becomes more reliable, reducing the risk of issues occurring during the update installation process.
1] Through Windows Update
Use the following steps to download the KB5006667 security update –
- Press the Windows+I keys to launch the Settings.
- Select Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Go to the right pane and click Check for Updates.
- This will download and install the update automatically. When it has finished downloading, restart your computer to complete the installation.
2] Microsoft Update Catalog
Microsoft Update Catalog can be used manually if the automatic search fails to locate the pending patch. To do this, follow these steps:
- First of all, go to the Microsoft Update catalog page.
- Enter KB5006667 in the text field and press Enter to open the available updates list.
- After you choose your system architecture (x86, ARM64, x64) click on the Download button.
- On the following screen, click the top link to begin downloading the KB5006667.
- When the download is complete, right-click the “.MSU” file and select Install.
3] Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
These are the configuration to get the update with WSUS –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later
- Classification: Security Updates
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.