Sept 2021 cumulative update “KB5005565” is now available for Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1. This is a minor patch featuring security updates for Windows components, Microsoft services, and a few others. Apart from this, it also fixes the “infinite number of child directories” issue through PowerShell.
Editor Tip: RESTORO is a great software that can automatically find and resolve update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows 11/10 PC. Having this tool ensures that you can use your device to its fullest capacity.
Download: RESTORO PC Repair Tool
Installing KB5005565 will increase the existing OS Build update number to 1904x.1237. The letter “x” varies from 1 to 3 depending upon which version is currently running on your computer. The list includes 1004, 20H2, and 21H1. Let’s have a quick look at the fixes and improvements that will appear after installing this cumulative update.
Apart from improving the security aspects of all Windows components and Microsoft services, this also brings the following changes.
- Works upon an issue that causes PowerShell to create an infinite number of child directories. This problem occurs when users use the PowerShell Move-Item command to move a directory to one of its children. As a result, the volume fills up and the system stops responding.
How to get this Patch Update
By default, the operating system receives the new security/non-security patches via the Windows update section. This will happen for the KB5005565 cumulative update as well unless you have set your PC as a metered connection.
Allow downloading updates over any network, navigate to the path below, and hit Check for updates –
- Settings (Win + I) > Update & Security > Windows Update
Microsoft uploads the standalone packages of each one of its cumulative updates at Update Catalog. To download and install KB5005565, do the following –
Tip: Check if you had installed “10 Aug 2021, SSU (KB5005260)” on your device. In case you haven’t, do this first. Only after this servicing stack is running on your PC, follow the steps below –
- First of all, visit Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Here, you may see the KB5005565 update for all system architectures (x86, x64, and ARM64).
- Pick the one that is running on your PC, and hit the Download button next to it.
- On the subsequent screen, click over the link.
- The chosen standalone package starts downloading on your computer.
- When the download completes, double-click over the setup file to begin its installation.
- That’s it, your PC is now upgraded to Build 1904x.1237.
Known Issues on this Build Update
Before you install this patch update on your computer, make sure to read all the issues that may occur after installing it. The list of all known issues on Windows 10 21h1, 20h2, and 2004 are as follows –
- Microsoft Edge Legacy will disappear after installing this patch update. If you are thinking that the system will replace the old Edge with the new one, you’re mistaken.
- Error PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING – If you are getting this error code, read this post on how to fix it for Windows 11/10.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool.This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.