Windows 10 1607 receives a new cumulative update this month i.e. KB5004238. Applying this patch will not only provide security updates to Windows components but also fixes a few bugs that started in earlier builds. Moreover, this will increase the existing OS Build number to 14393.4530.
Here are the key changes that you will notice after upgrading your device to this build version –
- Removes the Adobe Flash component from your device.
- Adds Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption protections for CVE-2021-33757.
- Removes support for the PerformTicketSignature setting and permanently enables Enforcement mode for CVE-2020-17049.
- Resolves a redirector stop error that occurred because of a race condition. This happens only when the system deletes binding objects when connections close.
- Works upon a vulnerability issue on Primary Refresh Tokens and makes them strongly encrypted. Exploiting this fragility, hackers can easily reuse the tokens including the expired ones. To get more insights, have a look at CVE-2021-33779.
- Works upon an issue that incorrectly renders Enhanced Metafile Format (EMF) files. This bug occurs only when you build the EMF files using third-party applications with ExtCreateFontIndirect() or ExtCreatePen().
Apart from the above fixes and improvements, this brings a security update for the following –
Windows Apps, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows User Account Control (UAC), Operating System Security, the Windows Kernel, Windows Graphics, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, the Windows HTML Platforms, the Windows MSHTML Platform, and Windows Active Directory.
Known Issues on KB5004238
As per Microsoft, they are not aware of any knows issues on this build release.
How to Get this Patch Update
As usual, you don’t need to do anything as this patch will be downloaded and applied to your device via Windows Update. If you don’t want to wait any longer, you may initiate a manual search by following the steps below.
- Press WinKey + I.
- Select Update & Security > Windows Update.
- On the right pane, you will find an option i.e. Check for updates.
- Hitting this option will trigger a manual search for Windows 10 1607 pending updates.
- If the search reveals any pending update, the same gets automatically installed on your PC.
- When this is over, you will receive a prompt asking to restart your device.
Although the steps above in most of the cases, you may get the standalone package of this security patch as well. To do so, follow these steps –
Note: Make sure to install the servicing stack update i.e. KB5001402 beforehand so as to avoid any problems during Windows 10 1607 update.
- Go to Microsoft’s official site i.e. Update Catalog.
- Type in the “KB” number on the search bar, and press Enter.
- Pick the update that best matches your system configuration, and hit the Download button.
- Click over the top link on the subsequent window to start downloading the standalone package (.msu file format).
- Open the folder containing this file, and double-click upon the setup file to begin its installation.