Yesterday, Microsoft releases a new cumulative update i.e. KB5003638 for Windows 10 1607 users. Apart from being a security patch, this also brings a few bug fixes and improvements like – it resolves an issue with the just-in-time (JIT) behavior of jscript9.dll.
In this guide, we present four different ways to download and install this patch, errors that are most likely to occur, and obviously the changelog.
KB5003638 – Fixes and Improvements
Here are the key fixes and improvements that came along with this cumulative update –
- Security updates for the following –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Virtualization, Windows HTML Platform, and Windows Storage and Filesystems.
- Resolves an issue with the just-in-time (JIT) behavior of jscript9.dll.
- Enhances the security of Windows OLE (compound documents).
- This also brings updates for storing and managing files.
Known Issues on KB5003638
So far, Microsoft has not reported any issues on PCs that have upgraded to this build update.
How to Get this Patch Update
There are quite a few ways that you can use to get your hands on the KB5003638 update. These are as follows –
Note: Make sure to download and install the required servicing stack update i.e. KB5001402 to avoid any issues that may occur during the update process.
- Windows Update – No need to do anything, as the update will be downloaded and installed automatically on your device.
- Windows Update for Business – Same as above.
- Update Catalog – If you can’t wait to secure your PC, use this manual method. In this, you need to visit the official site, type the cumulative update number in the text field, and press Enter. Amidst the available options, pick the one that best matches your system architecture. Hit Download to start downloading the setup file and when it does, double-click on it to begin its installation.
- WSUS – No need to do anything as long as you keep your Product in sync with WSUS. Do also configure the Product as “Windows” and Classification as “Security Updates“.
I hope you are now able to download and install KB5003638 successfully into your device. If you are looking for the official release, get the same below –