Windows 10 versions 1909 and 1809 receive new non-security patch updates i.e. KB5001396 and KB5001384. KB5001396 updates the existing Build OS to 18363.1533 whereas KB5001384 to Build 17763.1911.
The general fixes and improvements on both cumulative updates are alike to each other, so we have clubbed them together. Let’s explore the key highlights in detail –
Non-security updates for Windows 10 1909 and 1809
Microsoft releases the following two non-security updates for Windows 10 1909 and 1809. They are KB5001396 and KB5001384 and they update their respective Build OS to 18363.1533 and 17763.1911.
Here are the key changes that will appear after installing them to your device –
Note: Windows 10 19H2 users get quick access to an integrated feed of dynamic content such as Weather, Sports, News, and more directly on the Windows taskbar.
- Users won’t get the Microsoft Edge Legacy application anymore installed by default on their devices. Instead, they will get the new Chromium-based Edge when they update their operating systems.
- Works upon a bug that fails to remove mandatory profiles when users sign out of their PCs after enabling the policy – “Delete cached copies of roaming profiles”.
- No more Windows 10 activation issues even if you remove an owned operating system.
- Improves an operation that evaluates the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem. This is to ensure that all applications get proper updates and remain compatible.
- Works upon a race condition that usually occurs between Task Scheduler and the Workstation Service. Users may now join a hybrid Azure Active Directory (AAD) domain without getting into an error 0x80070490.
- Improves the partial Service Connection Point (SCP) configuration so that dsregcmd.exe works normally.
Other Fixes and Improvements
- Earlier, when you disable the policy- “Register domain-joined computers as devices”, an issue appears from nowhere and triggers hybrid AAD joining automatically.
- Resolves the issue related to lsass.exe wherein memory usage grows unexpectedly. This makes the system unusable and usually occurs when Transport Layer Security (TLS) resumes a session.
- Addresses an anomaly that causes Azure Active Directory (AAD) Work Accounts to disappear unexpectedly from apps like Microsoft Teams or Microsoft Office.
- Works upon an issue that results in a blue-screen error when Docker containers run with process isolation.
- Corrects the issue that makes the automatic enrollment and certificate retrieval fail on error “The parameter is incorrect”.
- Improves Task Scheduler so that it doesn’t cause monthly tasks and tasks scheduled for 0:00 UTC to occur at the wrong time.
- Resolves a bug with Windows Virtual Desktop sessions. In this, a blank list of output devices appears when users plug in a new audio device during a session.
- Configures the speaker wizard so that it doesn’t behave mischievously.
- Users may now turn on the flashlight utility when the Camera application is in use.
- Resolves an issue that fails to apply the “false” setting to the RequirePDC flag in Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS).
Known Issues on KB5001396
- Scroll bar controls may not function properly or become blank after installing this patch on your computer.
Note: This issue affects mainly 32-bit applications that are running on a 64-bit Windows 10 PC.
As of now, Microsoft is working on this issue and may provide a resolution in upcoming releases.
Known Issues on KB5001384
- You may encounter the following error after installing and applying this non-security patch update –
“0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND”
Learn how to fix it on your device.
How to download/install KB5001396 or KB5001384
The best way to download this optional update is from Windows update. To do so, browse to the below path, and hit Check for updates –
Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update
Alternatively, you may download the respective standalone package and later install it on your PC. However, make sure to first download and apply the latest servicing stack update on your device. Doing so will ensure the update process completes without getting into any bugs or errors.
- Servicing Stack Update – KB5003155 (1909), KB5001407 (1809)
- Latest Cumulative Update’s Standalone Package – 1909, 1809
Note: Download the non-security patch matching your system architecture so as to avoid any future complications.