Microsoft releases a new cumulative update KB5001391 for Windows 10 2004 and 20H2 users. Applying this cumulative update will increase the respective build numbers to 9041.964 and 19042.964.
As usual, you may get this patch either via Windows Update or manually download the standalone package from the Update Catalog site.
Following are the key changes that will occur after applying this cumulative update to your device –
- You may now access an integrated feed of dynamic content, such as news, sports, weather, and others directly on the taskbar interface. This new feature even lets you personalize your feed with the contents that matter to you.
- Resolves blank tiles issues appearing on the Start Menu with names like “ms-resource:AppName” or “ms-resource:appDisplayName”.
- Users may now adjust the amount of idle time before a headset goes to sleep. You may find the relevant settings on the Settings page of Windows Mixed Reality.
Important Fixes and Improvements
Here are the key fixes on Build updates 19041.964 and 19042.964 –
- Works upon an issue that fails to remove mandatory profiles completely when you log out of your device using the group policy – “Delete cached copies of roaming profiles”.
- Resolves a bug that causes devices to fail Device Health Attestation.
- Addresses Isass.exe memory consumption issue that used to grow until the PC becomes unstable and not usable.
- Fixes error code 0x80070490 that used to occur due to a race condition between Task Scheduler and the Workstation Service.
- Addresses partial Service Connection Point (SCP) configuration issue that is known to prevent the dsregcmd.exe from working normally.
- Works upon an issue that causes DWM.exe to stop working in quite a few cases.
All other fixes and improvements are old, so we haven’t included them in the above list. If you do want to read them as well, open the release note.
Known Issues on KB5001391
You may get one or more issues after installing this non-security patch on your computer. Here is the complete list of known bugs that may occur –
- System or user certificates might be lost, so make sure to create a full backup before installing this cumulative update.
- Entering Kanji characters will not allow inputting of Furigana characters on Japanese IME.
- Microsoft Edge Legacy will be removed after applying this build update. However, you need to manually download and install the Chromium-based Edge as this will not occur automatically.
- A small subset of users has reported lower than expected performance in games after installing this patch.
How to download/Install KB5001391
You may get this cumulative update by checking the Windows update section. Here’s how to proceed –
- Press Win + I.
- Select Update & Security.
- On the upcoming window, hit Check for updates.
- Let the system scan for any pending updates online.
- If it finds the KB5001391 update during the scan, the same gets automatically installed.
Alternatively, you may download the related standalone package from the Update Catalog. Just make sure to download and apply the recent SSU i.e. KB4598481 first.
- Visit Microsoft’s official site.
- Type “KB5001391” in the search field and hit Enter.
- Pick the one that matches your Windows 10 version and system architecture, and hit the Download button.
- Click over the top link to begin downloading the .msu file.
- Open the folder containing the setup file and double-click on it.
That would be all.