Microsoft releases another non-security patch update “KB5000842” for Windows 10 users 20H2 and 20H1, upgrading the Build OS to 19042.906 and 19041.906 respectively.
Since this is an optional update, you should not rush to download/install it on your computer. If only you are getting some bugs that get a resolution in this release, upgrade your PC to KB5000842.
KB5000842 Changelog for Windows 10 20H1, 20H2
Here are the key changes that will occur after installing the Build updates 19041.906 or 19042.906 –
- Earlier, users get into some unwanted troubles while starting the Zoom app. The errors appear only when you were using Microsoft Edge on devices with multiple high-DPI monitors. The error will get resolved after upgrading to these non-security updates.
- Resolves an issue that causes the high dynamic range (HDR) screens to appear much darker than expected.
- Addresses an issue that causes video playback to be out of sync in duplicate mode. This was more of a multiple monitors usage problem.
- Resolves a bug related to 7.1 channel audio technology.
- Addresses an anomaly that causes a device to stop working if you delete files or folders that OneDrive syncs.
- Resolves an issue that displays nothing or shows “Computing Filters” indefinitely when you filter File Explorer search results.
- Updates an issue that makes the split layout unavailable for the touch keyboard when you rotate a device to portrait mode.
- Informs users when a child account in the Family Safety plan has administrative privileges.
- Updates an issue that prevents you from closing Toast Notifications using the Close button on touchscreen devices.
These are the most important fixes and improvements that will occur after applying the KB5000842 update to your computer. To know the complete list of fixes and improvements, read the release note.
Known Bugs and Issues
After installing this optional update, you may encounter any (or all) of the following issues –
- Loss of System and user certificates.
- As per Microsoft, users may enter Kanji characters on the Japanese Input Method Editor to get the Furigana characters correctly. The issue may re-appear after upgrading to Build versions 19042.906 or 19041.906.
- If you had previously custom installed Windows 10, upgrading to KB5000842 might remove the Microsoft Edge Legacy entirely on your device. Do note that the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge will also not be installed on your computer.
How to Get the KB5000842 Update
As usual, you may get this non-security patch via either of the below channels. However, make sure to first install the recent servicing stack i.e. KB4598481 so that the update process finishes without getting into any bug or error.
- Windows Update: Go to Settings > Update & Security, and hit the Check for updates button. The system will then download and install the pending update to your computer.
- Update Catalog: Visit Microsoft’s official website and download the standalone package of the latest cumulative update. Just make sure to download the file that best matches your system architecture.
That would be all.