March 2021 Security patch for Windows 10 version 1909 is out is now available at the Windows Update section. With the cumulative update, KB5000808, Microsoft improves the security of all Windows 10 components, basic services, and the Edge browser.
Additionally, the developers have also released an update directly to the Windows Update client so as to improve its reliability. From now onward, before offering any new update, they will check if your device is compatible or not. If all found OK, the update gets automatically downloaded and installed on your PC. Kindly note that the new setting doesn’t apply to long-term servicing editions. Let’s explore the key changes in detail –
KB5000808 Windows 10 1909 Changelog
Here are the key changes that occur on the March 2021 security-patch –
- Increases the OS Build version to 18363.1440.
- Update security of the following – Windows user interface, Microsoft Office Products. Additionally, there have been also improvements when Windows performs basic operations.
- Addresses a security vulnerability that was properly documented in CVE-2021-1640. Earlier, print jobs remain in a pending state as long as you don’t restart the print spooler service. In certain cases, the bug prevails even after rebooting the OS. One may fix this issue by manually deleting the affected print jobs.
- Apart from security updates to all of the above key components, Microsoft enhances the security of the following –
Windows Shell, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Apps, Windows User Account Control (UAC), Windows Core Networking, Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows Virtualization, the Windows Kernel, the Microsoft Graphics Component, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Legacy, and Windows Media.
Windows Update Improvements
If the Windows Update client is not working properly, you may improve its reliability by downloading and installing an update from Microsoft.
Known Issues on KB5000808
No new bugs appear after applying this security patch.
How to Get this Patch Update
Before proceeding to download/install the latest cumulative update i.e. KB5000808 on your device, make sure to first apply the recent SSU. Doing so will ensure the update process completes without getting into any new bugs or errors. The latest servicing stack update for Windows 10 1909 users is KB5000908.
Below are the three channels from which you can get the latest cumulative update for your computer –
1] Windows Update
The update gets automatically downloaded and installed on your device. When the installation finishes, there appears a prompt asking to restart your PC. In case of not receiving any new updates, you may perform this task manually as well.
- Press Win + I.
- Select Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Hit Check for updates.
2] Microsoft Update Catalog
- To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Pick the update that well-matches your system configuration, and hit the download button.
- Click over the top link on the subsequent screen to download the
- When the download completes, open the folder containing this file, and double-click over the setup file.
3] Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
You don’t require to do anything except keep your system in sync with the WSUS. Also, make sure that you have configured Products and Classifications as follows –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later
- Classification: Security Updates