Microsoft releases Feb 2021 Non-security patch i.e. KB4601382 for Windows 10 20H1 & 20H2. Most of the users might have already received this optional update after paying a visit to Windows Update. If not, its standalone package is readily available for download at the Update Catalog site. All you require is to choose amongst the available system architectures and hit the Download button on the right end.
Before proceeding to download/install this cumulative update, make sure to apply the recent SSU to your device. If not, you may start getting the 0x800f0823 error on your computer. Let’s explore what new improvements, fixes, and changes come for Windows 10 20H1/20H2 users –
Here are the key changes that will occur after upgrading to OS Build 19041.844 or 19042.844 –
- Works upon an issue wherein it prevents the input of strings into the Input Method Editor (IME).
- No unexpected screen issues during the Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE).
- The advanced display settings will now receive the correct refresh rates which are available for high dynamic range (HDR) displays.
- KB4601382 addresses the video playback flickering issues when rendering on low-latency capable monitors. Additionally, they also fix screen rendering problems while opening games with certain hardware configurations.
- Resolves Keyboard keys sudden not working issue when you set the Japanese IME input mode to Kana. The developers mainly improve the functionality of the following keys – Home, Ctrl, or the left arrow.
- Earlier, when you change the system locale, the system displays an incorrect language after signing into any console. Microsoft resolved this bug as well.
- Displays the proper Envelope media type as a selectable output paper type for Universal Print queues.
- The company now supports hole punch as well as stapling locations while performing print jobs with long edge first paper feed direction on certain printers.
Known Issues on this update
As per Microsoft, users may enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters while using the Japanese IME. However, this will not result in displaying correct Furigana characters because the affected apps are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function.
The developers are working on a resolution to solve this issue for Windows 10 20H1/20H2 users.
How to get this Optional Update
As usual, one can get this optional update via either Windows Update or Microsoft Update Catalog. However, make sure to first install the recent servicing stack before proceeding to apply this cumulative update. The latest SSU for this update is KB4598481. In case, you skip this servicing stack update before applying KB4601382, you may get the following error message during the installation –
“Error 0x800f0823 – CBS_E_NEW_SERVICING_STACK_REQUIRED”
1] Windows Update:
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Under the Optional updates available area, you should get the link to download/install this non-security patch.
2] Microsoft Update Catalog
- Open the Update Catalog site on your default web-browser.
- Pick the update matching your system architecture, and hit the download button.
- Click over the top link to start downloading the standalone package.
- When the download completes, double-click on the setup file to start its installation.