Microsoft has released the latest cumulative update KB4601319 for Windows 10 20H2 and 2004. This security update is available for Beta and RP (Release preview) channels. It increases the Windows 10 2004 19041.804, Windows 10 21H1 19043.804, and Windows 10 20H2 19042.804.
With this cumulative update, the company tries to fixes two vulnerability issues along with providing security updates to Windows 10 apps and components. You’re able to download the KB4601319 patch update via Windows Update, Update Catalog, and WSUS.
Here are the key changes of this security patch –
- With this update, Microsoft has solved a possible elevation of privilege vulnerability in the win32k component.
- The team has worked on an issue that might damage the file system. Also, this issue used to prevent the system from starting up after execution of chkdsk /f.
- This update fixed a security vulnerability by restricting applications that run as a SYSTEM account from printing to “FILE:” ports.
- Security updates to the Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Management, Windows Authentication, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Cryptography, Windows Virtualization, Windows Core Networking, Windows Apps, Windows Fundamentals, and Windows Input and Composition.
Known Issues on KB4601319
Here are the key known bugs on this security update –
1] Japanese Input Method editor may fail to work effectively:
This problem commonly occurs when you attempt to press the Kanji characters on an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters. The affected applications are recognized to be using the ImmGetCompositionString() function.
Sol: Microsoft team is working on a resolution to fix this bug. When the developer does find any solution, they will put the same in an upcoming release.
2] Loss of System and User Certificates:
With the patch update KB4601319, some users reported losing the system as well as user certificates after upgrading Windows 10 1809 or later versions to Windows 10 20h1 or 20h2.
Sol: To fix this issue, you first need to download and install the latest servicing stack. Only after successfully installation of the SSU, download and install the latest cumulative update.
How to Get this Security Update
To obtain this security patch on your computer, try out either of the below methods –
Note: Just make sure to download and install the latest servicing stack beforehand i.e. KB4598481.
1] Windows Update
Navigate to the following location and hit Check for Updates.
Settings (Win + I) > Update & Security > Windows Update
2] Microsoft Update Catalog
- Go to the Microsoft official site, select the update that best matches your system configuration, and then click on the Download button.
- Thereafter, click the top link to start downloading the related files of KB4601319.
- When the download completes, open the folder containing this file, and double-click the setup file having
3] Windows Server Update Services
Set the following parameters as classified below and your device will get the latest patch automatically –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later
- Classification: Security Updates