Microsoft releases the first cumulative update of this year for Windows 10 19H1 and 19H2 users on 12th January 2021. After applying the security patch i.e. KB4598229, the build numbers of Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 will increase to 18362.1316 and 18363.1316 respectively.
With this cumulative update, the company aims to resolve two vulnerability issues along with providing security updates to Windows 10 apps and components. As usual, you may get this patch update via Windows Update, Update Catalog, and WSUS.
KB4598229 – Windows 10 version 19H1 and 19H2 Security Update
Here are the key changes of this security patch –
- Worked upon a security vulnerability issue with HTTPS-based intranet servers. Previously, this bug exists just because after installing the security patch, the Https-based intranet servers can’t take the help of a proxy to detect updates.
- Resolves an anomaly that might damage the file system of certain devices. In addition to this, the new patch will prevent such file system from starting up after running
- The company had previously noted down a vulnerability issue when users try to authenticate the remote Windspool feature using the Printer Remote Procedure Call (RPC) binding. Microsoft has fixed this issue on Build 18362.1316 and 18363.1316.
- Provides security updates to the following –
Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows Cryptography, Windows Virtualization, Windows Peripherals, and Windows Hybrid Storage Services.
Known Issues on KB4598229
Here are the key known bugs on this security update –
1] Loss of System and User Certificates:
A handful of users complained about losing the system as well as user certificates after upgrading Windows 10 1809 or later versions to Windows 10 19h1 or 19h2.
Sol: In order to avoid getting this bug, you may pre-download and install the latest servicing stack. Only after successfully installing the SSU, you may download and install the latest cumulative update.
How to Get this Security Update
To obtain this security patch on your computer, try out any one of the following methods –
|Note: Make sure to download and install the latest servicing stack beforehand i.e. KB4598479.|
1] Windows Update
Reach out to the below location and hit the Check for Updates option.
Settings (Win + I) > Update & Security > Windows Update
2] Microsoft Update Catalog
- Visit the official site, pick the update that best matches your system architecture, and hit the Download button.
- Subsequently, click the top link to start downloading the related files of KB4598229.
- When the download completes, open the folder containing this file, and double-click the setup file having
3] Windows Server Update Services
Set the following parameters as the following on your device and Windows 10 will update automatically.
- Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later
- Classification: Security Updates