Microsoft is all set to release this month’s security patches for all versions across Windows 10. KB4579311 is the latest cumulative update for Windows 10 version 2004 and 20H2, enhancing the build numbers to 19041.572 and 19042.572 respectively. In addition to this, developers update for verifying usernames and passwords. To see the full list of this month’s security patches, visit our Cumulative Updates Catalog.
Here are the key highlights of the cumulative update KB4579311 –
- Addresses a bug that previously causes elevation of privilege in win32k.
- Resolves an issue with creating null ports using the user interface.
- Fixes a Group Policy issue that recursively deletes critical files available inside the “%systemroot%\systm32” folder. This problem typically occurs when you had previously configured the related policy to delete cache profiles. If the deletion of the profile continues, a stop error i.e. “0x5A (CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED)” may occur.
- In addition to the above fixes, this brings security updates to the following –
Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Virtualization, and Windows Kernel.
Known Issues on KB4579311
As of now, Microsoft is aware of two unknown issues that might appear after installing this security-patch –
- Users may encounter bugs and errors while using the Microsoft Input Method Editor (IME) for Japanese or Chinese languages. The error could be associated with the input, receive unexpected results, or might not be able to enter text. In order to fix this bug, see the solutions listed at KB4564002.
- Windows may prompt a warning message when you try installing a third-party driver on the computer. In general, you will receive any of the following messages –
- “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software”
- “No signature was present in the subject”
To resolve this issue, you may contact and ask for an updated driver from the driver manufacturer (OEM).
How to Get the KB4579311 Update
Make sure to download and install the related Servicing Stack update first i.e. KB4577266. When you perform this task successfully, use any of the following channels to get the KB4579311 security patch –
Note: There’s no need to reboot your device after applying the recent SSU to your computer.
- Windows Update: Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and click Check for updates. If there indeed lies any pending updates, the system will automatically download and install the same. Once over, there appears a prompt asking to Restart the PC.
- Update Catalog: Visit the official Microsoft site to download the standalone package matching your system architecture. When the download completes, double-click over the setup file to start its installation.
- WSUS: The update will automatically sync with WSUS if you have configured Products as Windows 10 1903 and later, and Classifications as Security Updates.