Microsoft releases another new cumulative update KB4571694 for Windows 10 series 1607 on the August Patch Tuesday. This is basically a security update that increases the build version of Windows 10 1607 to 14393.3866. With this patch, the Microsoft team works on the problem related to Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT). Furthermore, you will get the security improvement for Microsoft Edge, IE, and some input devices like mouse & keyboard.
You can either download the KB4571694 update manually or let the Windows Update do it for you. If your computer fails to receive the update, you can download the security patch manually. To do that, open Windows Settings (Win+I) > Update & Security > Windows Update. Then, go to the right pane and click Check for updates.
KB4571694 – Changelog
The key highlights of the KB4571694 cumulative update are as follows –
- Microsoft team works on the problem related to the Microsoft Edge IE mode. This problem appears when you open multiple documents from a SharePoint site.
- Another problem related to Microsoft Edge IE mode has been addressed here. It generally appears when you browse using anchor links.
- The company tries to fix an issue with loading Browser Helper Objects in Microsoft Edge IE mode.
- Windows 10 team works on an issue that causes certain applications to stop responding. It usually happens when under load if they rely on the JScript Scripting Engine.
- The new child windows flickering problem has been resolved. It used to appear as white squares on server devices that are configured for stark visual contrast.
- While creating shortcuts, now the file explorer will not close unexpectedly.
- The Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) working problem on Windows 10 machines is resolved now. It usually occurs when you create or edit a Group Policy Object including a Scheduled Task.
- Microsoft works on a race condition that mainly occurs when you run multiple PowerShell scripts at the same time.
- Resolves an issue in Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps. It used to allow single sign-on authentication when an app does not have the Enterprise Authentication capability. It is assumed that with the release of CVE-2020-1509, UWP applications might start prompting the user for credentials.
- Windows 10 maker tries to fix an issue in cluster scenarios that cause handles to .vmcx and .vmrs files to become invalid after storage failover. Consequently, live migration and other virtual machines (VM) maintenance activities fail with STATUS_UNEXPECTED_NETWORK_ERROR.
- Microsoft expert updates the message users receive that tells them to check their phone for notifications from the Microsoft Authenticator application. This information only arrives when authentication is done using the AD FS Azure Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) adapter.
- With this update, you will no longer experience the stop error (0xC00002E3) at startup. This problem generally occurs after installing some Windows Updates that were introduced on or after April 21, 2020.
- This update brings the security updates for the following –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Media, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, Windows Kernel, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows App Platform, and Frameworks, Windows Hybrid Storage Services, Microsoft JET Database Engine, and Windows Remote Desktop.
KB4571694 Known Issue
Issue: It has been noted that the error 2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort) starts occurring after installing the KB4467684 patch. According to Microsoft, you should continue to use 14 or fewer characters while setting a “Minimum Password Length” policy.
Sol: As a workaround, set the domain default “Minimum Password Length” policy that would be less than or equal to 14 characters. Microsoft team is currently working on a resolution and will provide it in an upcoming release.
How to Get this Update
There are 3 different channels from where you can download/apply this cumulative update –
- Windows Update – If your computer receives the patch update KB4571694, you will get the related notification automatically. To avoid any problem while updating your device, you must have to download and install the latest SSU KB4565912 first.
- Standalone Package – If you don’t want to wait, visit Microsoft Update Catalog, download and run the standalone package that came along with this Build release. Just make sure to download the file matching your system architecture.
- WSUS – This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
- Product: Windows 10 version 1607
- Classification: Security Updates
Source – Update Catalog