Microsoft releases the third security patch for Windows 10 2004, May 2020 Update i.e. KB4565503 on 14th July 2020. This Tuesday patch brings some quality improvements along with fixing the Print-related troubles and spooler service. After installing this security-patch, Windows 10 20H1 Build OS number increases to 19041.388.
Users will get automatically get a message notifying about the KB4565503 patch via the Windows Update section. However, if you don’t want to wait rather apply the new changes, visit the Update Catalog and download the standalone package. This should be available in the .msi file format. To check the complete list of recent CUs, visit the catalog.
KB4565503 – Changelog for Windows 10 2004
The key highlights of this patch update are as follows –
- Improves Microsoft Store security.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
- Security patches for Microsoft Edge Legacy and Internet Explorer.
- Improves the security of basic Windows operations, input devices like – Mouse, Keyboard, Stylus, etc.
- Resolves an error that prevents users from connecting to OneDrive using the OneDrive app.
- Addresses the visual distortion issue on certain games and apps. Users won’t get errors while resizing to Windows mode from Full Screen or vice versa.
- Updates an anomaly that doesn’t let certain applications printing documents (large files) with graphics.
Improvements and fixes on KB4565503
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include –
|Note: If you are on Windows 10 version 20H2, installing the KB4565503 cumulative update will increase the OS Build number to 19042.388. Both 2004 and 2009 receive the same fixes and improvements. To know more, visit the Windows Experience Blog.|
- Earlier, the apps which use the ImeMode property to control Input Method Editor (IME) mode on Windows 10 PC often run into trouble. For example, this issue prevents input mode from automatically switching to Kanji or Hiragana. To read more, visit KB4564002 and the blog post, Getting the May 2020 Update Ready for Release – UPDATED.
- Works upon an anomaly that simply prevents users from using PowerShell to change the system locale on Server Core platforms.
- Resolves an issue that might cause certain games and apps to have visual distortion while entering windowed mode or switching from full screen to window mode.
- Resolves a bug that causes lsass.exe to fail abruptly. The error message reads – “
A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000008. The machine must now be restarted“.
- No printing documents (with or without graphics) error after downloading/installing this Build release.
- Windows 10 users getting an error while connecting to OneDrive using the OneDrive app now stands fixed. We have found that this error typically arises on older devices or on devices running older apps. Usually, this prevents certain devices from downloading new files or opening previously synced or downloaded files.
- Brings security updates for the following –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, the Microsoft Store, Windows Graphics, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Kernel, Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Update Stack, Windows MSXML, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows Remote Desktop, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Legacy, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
After applying the KB4565503 patch to your computer, you may encounter the below trouble –
Issue 1: Chinese and Japanese IMEs may not work effectively on a few apps like – Microsoft Excel. This may result in the “Mouse drag feature not working” issue.
Sol – Visit the KB4564002 section to view tips and suggestions by Microsoft.
How to download and install KB4565503
Before proceeding to apply the first cumulative patch on May 2020 Update, download/install the related SSU file first i.e. KB4566785. Once you applied the latest servicing stack update, use any of the below channels to get the KB4565503 patch –
- Windows Update Section – You will automatically receive a notification regarding this. If not, head over to the below path –
Settings UI (Win+I) > Update Security > Windows Updates > Check for Updates.
- Update Catalog – Visit the Update catalog and download the Standalone package. After visiting the official page, click Download thereafter the top link on the upcoming screen.
- Through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – Don’t need to do anything, just make sure your device syncs with WSUS.
Source – Release note.