Windows 10 version 1809 and Windows Server 2019 receive a new .NET Framework (3.5, 4.72) on 21st July 2020. The KB4562902 brings quality and reliability improvements to the CLR, ASP.NET, WPF, and Net Libraries.
Besides fixing a memory leak in HttpListener under the Net Libraries, this also improves rare crashes that could occur during thread abort delivery. Apart from this, the KB4562902 framework also performs a dozen fixes inside the Common Language Runtime and Windows Presentation Foundation. Let’s explore this update in detail –
Here are the key changes that appear on KB4562902 .NET framework –
4567327 – Describes the cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.7.2, and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1809. This article also includes additional information related to Windows Server 2019 (KB4567327).
Improvements under ASP.NET
- Use FIPS-compliant hashes in ASP.Net telemetry data.
- Fixes a bug where “Unspecified” was not an allowed value in the config for the ‘cookieSameSite’ attribute of the forms authentication and session state configuration sections.
- Resolves an anomaly where first requests to a cold site sometimes return a server configuration error from System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.AddFileMonitor().
Windows Presentation Foundation Improvements
- Fixes an issue where TextBlock reflows (makes different line-breaking decisions) during render and hit-test, vs. during measure. The symptoms include missing text, and FailFast crashes during programmatic text processing.
- Addresses a render thread failure caused by HostVisual disconnecting its target on the wrong thread.
- Resolves a hang issue that appears while scrolling a TreeView whose tree is non-uniform.
- DataGrid’s Copy command throws an exception if the system clipboard is locked by another process. This crashes, as there is usually no app code on the stack to catch the exception. The behavior of TextBox (and other apps like Notepad, Word, browsers) in this situation is to fail silently – nothing is copied to the clipboard, but no exception. A WPF app can now opt-in to this behavior by setting <appSettings> <add key=”ShouldThrowOnDataGridCopyOrCutFailure” value=”false”/> </appSettings>in its app.config file.
- Resolves the way non-animated text with TextRenderingMode=”ClearType” or “Ideal” is drawn. This now uses a “symmetric anti-aliasing” algorithm that produces better visual results for text with fine strokes. This is pretty common in Far East languages, Arabic, Hebrew, and fonts designed specifically for symmetric anti-aliasing.
- Works upon a crash issue that occurs while closing a tooltip that is re-entrant closed by user code.
- Addresses a memory leak in System.Speech.SpeechSynthesizer.
- Addresses troubles while constructing the internal model for a FixedPage document. Some text was appearing in the wrong order for the purposes of editing operations such as selection and copy/paste.
Download and install KB4562902 for Windows 10 v 1809
To download the latest .NET framework for Windows 10 version 1809 or Windows Server 2019, use the steps –
- First of all, visit the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- A list of the latest .NET frameworks will appear featuring x64, x86, and 64ARM architectures.
- Select the one well-matching your system architecture and hit the Download button.
- Subsequently, click the top link and save the file to the desired location.
- Now, browse the setup file and click twice to perform an in-place upgrade.
- Wait for a while as this takes few minutes to complete installing a patch.
Alternatively, you may also download the KB4562902 .NET frameworks by clicking the below links –
- x64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72 for Windows 10 1809
- x86 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72 for Windows 10 1809
- ARM64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72 for Windows 10 1809
- x64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72 for Windows Server, 2019
Quick Note: If you don’t want to manually download this update, wait for a notification from the Windows Update section. Or, you can visit the below path and check whether there comes any pending update or not.
Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates
Patch Update – July 21, 2020
Here is the complete list of the latest cumulative update that is available at the Microsoft update catalog –
- KB4559004 – Windows 10, version 1909 & 1903
- KB4559003 – Windows 10, version 1809
- KB4568831 – Windows 10, Insider 20H2