Microsoft releases the first cumulative update for Windows 10 2004, May 2020 Update i.e. KB4557957. This patch brings in some quality improvements, fixes along with securing the core Windows components and services. Apart from basic refinements, this CU enhances the OS Build version to 19041.329.
Users will receive a notification regarding the KB4557957 patch via the Windows Update section. However, if you don’t want to wait rather explore the new changes, visit the Update Catalog and download the standalone package. This should be available in the .msi file format. To check the complete list of recent CUs, visit this collection.
KB4557957 Changelog for Windows 10 2004
The key highlights of this patch update are as follows –
- Boosts the reliability of the keywords used either on Cortana or other voice assistants.
- Security patches for Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.
- Updates to improve the basic Windows operations and functionalities.
- Works upon the security of Office Products, input devices (mouse, keyboard, stylus), web cameras, printers, Xbox, and the Store.
- Secures the interface while verifying usernames and passwords. Besides, there’s an improvement in managing and storing files.
Improvements and fixes on KB4557957
- Addresses a bug that prevents users from updating .msi files from a network folder.
- Resolves the Windows Mixed Reality issue wherein one can’t use some voice commands inside.
- Enhances the reliability of voice assistants that use Windows voice activation (Settings > Privacy > Voice Activation) for keywords.
- Improves Cortana reliability over voice activation for devices that support low-power keywords.
- Brings Security updates for different Windows Components, Microsoft services, and default web browsers.
As of now, there are no known issues on this cumulative update.
How to download and install KB4557957
Before proceeding to apply the first cumulative patch on May 2020 Update, download/install the related SSU file first i.e. (KB4560366). Once you applied the servicing stack update, use any of the below channels to get the KB4557957 patch –
- Windows Update Section – You will auto-receive a notification regarding this. If not, head over to the path below –
Settings UI (Win+I) > Update Security > Windows Updates > Check for Updates.
- Via Update Catalog – Visit the Update catalog and download the Standalone package. After visiting the official page, click Download thereafter the top link on the upcoming screen.
- Through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – Don’t need to do anything, just make sure your device syncs with WSUS.
Source – Release note.