Windows 10 version 19H1/19H2 and Windows Server 1903/1909 receive a new .NET Framework (3.5, 4.8) on this patch Tuesday. The KB4552931 addresses two vulnerabilities – CVE-2020-0605 and CVE-2020-1108 that are known for quite some time.
If you don’t upgrade to this security patch, you remain vulnerable to the above exploitations. An attacker may run a simple code to access your internal files, modify existing applications, or delete them. Besides, one can even create a user account that has full rights over the entire system. In this post, we discuss two different ways to download and install KB4552931 on the computer. Let’s explore the methods in detail –
Here are the key changes that appear on KB4552931 .NET framework –
- Previously, there exists a remote code execution vulnerability in .NET Framework software. Due to this, it becomes quite easy for an attacker to exploit the current user files, folders, and other data. If the logged-in user has administrative rights, the attacker may even corrupt the entire system by merely running arbitrary code. He could also install new programs, view, change, delete data, or create a separate admin account that has full user rights.
- Again, there appears a denial of service vulnerability whenever .NET Framework improperly handles web requests. An attacker may prevent access to web applications by simply exploiting this vulnerability. One can exploit this by even staying remote without requiring any authentication.
If you want to know more about these vulnerabilities, visit –
As of now, Microsoft has addressed both these issues on KB4552931.
How to download and install KB4552931 for Windows 10 1909 and 1903
To download the latest .NET framework for Windows 10 version 1903/1909 or Windows Server, use the steps –
- Navigate to Microsoft Update Catalog, type “KB4552931” at the search bar, and press Enter.
- A list containing the recent .NET frameworks will appear for x64, x86, and 64ARM based PCs.
- Next, select and press the Download button next to the specific patch.
- Click the top link on the succeeding wizard. If prompted, select a location where you want to save this file.
- Now, reach out to the setup file and click twice to start installing this cumulative patch on your computer.
- Wait for a while, and let the system finish this remaining task.
Alternatively, you may download the .NET frameworks directly clicking the below links –
- x64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows 10 1909
- x86 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows 10 1909
- ARM64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows 10 1909
- x64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows Server, 1909
- x64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows 10 1903
- x86 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows 10 1903
- ARM64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows 10 1903
- x64 based .NET Framework 3.5, 4.72, 4.8 for Windows Server, 1903
Till now, Microsoft is not aware of any known issues on this patch update.
Tuesday Patch Update – May 2020
Here is the complete list of the latest cumulative update that is available at the Microsoft update catalog –
- KB4556799 – Windows 10, version 1909 & 1903
- KB4551853 – Windows 10 1809
- KB4556807 – Windows 10, version 1803
- KB4556813 – Windows 10, version 1607