On May Patch Tuesday, Microsoft releases cumulative updates KB4551853 and KB4556807 for Windows 10 1800 series build versions. KB4551853 updates Windows 10 1809 to Build OS 17763.1217 whereas KB4556807 enhances the build version of Windows 10 1803 to 17134.1488. Being security patches, they update the core components of Windows and Microsoft services.
Users may download these cumulative updates in the form of an MSU file format visiting the Update Catalog Site. Besides, there are a few known bugs as well to which Microsoft will soon provide a permanent resolution. Installing this update will fix the security concerns that prevail owing to malicious attacks now and then. Let’s explore the new fixes and features in detail –
KB4551853 and KB4556807 – Changelog
The security update comprises quality improvements. Key changes are –
- The company works on the updates of the 2020 start date for daylight saving time (DST). It is currently available in the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Microsoft addresses an issue that hinders a call to NCryptGetProperty() from returning the correct pbOutput value when pszProperty is set to “Algorithm Group” and you are using a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 device.
- The company works on the Security updates for the core Windows Components and Microsoft Services –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Kernel, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Windows Management, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Virtualization, Windows Core Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Update Stack, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
- Improves security while performing basic Windows Operations and using Office Products.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
- In Windows 1809, the company adds Shell Launcher v2 to enhance reliability and usability. Shell launcher v2 provides you the ability to specify a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app as the replacement shell. For more information, see Use Shell Launcher create a Windows 10 kiosk.
Known Issues on KB4551853 and KB4556807
Issue – After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, “0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND.”
Sol – As a workaround you will need to do the following things:
- You will have to uninstall and reinstall any recently added language packs. For instructions, see Manage the input and display language settings in Windows 10.
- After that, click on Check for Updates and install the April 2019 Cumulative Update. For instructions, see Update Windows 10.
Note – If reinstalling the language pack does not fix the issue, finally reset your PC as follows:
- Open your Windows Settings > Recovery.
- Choose to Get Started under the Reset this PC recovery option.
- Select Keep my Files.
Workaround: Microsoft is working on a resolution. They will provide an update in a forthcoming release.
Still, Microsoft has not found any issues with this update.
How to Get this Update
Before proceeding to download and install the LCU for Windows 10 1800 series, make your system compatible with its servicing stack updates. Doing so will ensure the smooth update process. The respective SSUs are as follows –
Now, you can head over to the below section and download the respective security patch update for 1809 & 1803.
1. Windows Update – You will auto-receive a notification regarding the KB4551853 and KB4556807 cumulative update.
2. Standalone Package – Though the company has provided direct links to access the update file, the links point to HTTP 404 error at the time of writing this article. They may correct this error soon –
Note: Just make sure to check the system architecture before clicking on the Download button.
3. Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – The update will auto-sync with WSUS if you configure “Products and Classifications” as follows –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1809, and 1803.
- Classification: Security Updates.