Windows 10 1607 receives a new security patch “KB4550929” on 14th April 2020. This cumulative update brings some basic improvements in security while performing Windows operations or using Office Products. Moreover, this Tuesday patch updates Windows 10 1607 Build version to 14393.3630.
In addition to the above, this also addresses the security concerns of core Windows components and Microsoft services. However, the pre-existing issue of “NERR_PasswordTooShort” remains as usual in this patch as well. Windows 10 users will automatically receive a message regarding this under the notification panel. In case you don’t want to wait, head over to the Update Catalog and download/install the related standalone package.
KB4550929 – New Features and Fixes
The key features of KB4550929 are as follows –
- Improves security while performing basic Windows operations or using Office Products.
- Additionally, this also brings security updates for the following core components and services –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Kernel, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Core Networking, Windows Update Stack, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
The error 2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort) doesn’t resolve even after installing the KB4550929 security patch. As per Microsoft, you should continue to use 14 or fewer characters while setting a “Minimum Password Length” policy.
How to Get this Update
There are three different ways to download and apply this security patch on your Windows 10 version 1607. They are –
- Windows Update – You will auto-receive a notification regarding the KB4550929 cumulative update. However, you must download and install the latest SSU i.e. KB4550994 in advance so that the update process completes successfully.
- Standalone Package – If you don’t want to wait, visit Microsoft Update Catalog, download and run the standalone package that came along with this release. Just make sure to check your system architecture before downloading the specific .msu file.
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you have already configured Products and Classifications as follows –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1607 and later
- Classification: Security Updates
Source – Update Catalog