On the April patch Tuesday, Microsoft releases a new cumulative update for Windows 10 series 1900 – KB4549951. This is basically a security update that increases the build version of Windows 10 1903 to 18362.778 and 1909 to 18363.778. With this patch, you will find some basic security improvements while performing Windows operations or using Office Products.
You can either download the KB4549951 update manually or let Windows do it for you. The manual installation is another option that can be used when you fail to get the patch. All you need to open Windows Settings (Win+I) > Update & Security > Windows Update. After that, move to the right pane and select Check for updates. To check the complete list of the patch, open Windows 10 Cumulative Updates.
General Fixes and Improvements for KB4549951
Here are the new changes comes along with the build 18362.778 & build 18363.778 –
Windows 10, 19H1
The key changes of this security update are –
- This build comprises all the improvements from Windows 10, version 1903.
- For this release, no additional issue was documented.
Windows 10, 19H2
According to the company, If you installed the previous updates then there is a need to download and install only the new fixes included inside the update.
- Microsoft works on an issue that restricts certain apps from installing if they are published using a Group Policy Object.
- Furthermore, this also brings security updates for the following core components and services –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Kernel, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Core Networking, Windows Update Stack, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
Still, the company is not aware of any issues with this patch update.
How to Get this Update
In order to download and apply this security patch on your device, you can go with one of them. They are –
- Windows Update – You will auto-receive a notification regarding the KB4549951 cumulative update. However, you must download and install the latest SSU i.e. KB4552152 in advance so that the update process completes successfully.
- Standalone Package – If you don’t want to wait, visit Microsoft Update Catalog, download and run the standalone package that came along with this release. Just make sure to check your system architecture before downloading the specific .msu file.
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you have already configured Products and Classifications as follows –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1903 and later
- Classification: Security Updates
Source – Update Catalog