Windows 10 has just now received a new cumulative update KB4540670 on Patch Tuesday of March 2020. This security update increases the version number of Windows 10 1607 to 14393.3564. With this patch update, there are security improvements for Windows Media, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, and other basic functions. Apart from the changes, the team also addresses a few known issues that might be get resolved in the upcoming updates.
You can either download KB4540670 cumulative update manually or let Windows do it for you. However, the manual installation is an alternative option when you fail to get the patch. In order to this, simply get access to the Settings > Update & Security category and select then click Check for updates.
Recommended – Windows 10 Cumulative updates complete catalog
General Fixes and Improvements for KB4540670
This patch having Build 14393.3564 is actually a bug-fixing update that carries no new feature to the OS. Here are the key changes –
- The Company improves security updates when you use Microsoft Office products.
- Microsoft team enhances the security updates when using Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.
- The verification of user names and passwords is also updated.
- Improves security updates when Windows completes basic operations.
- The storing and managing files are also updated.
- The Developer team improves the security update when using external devices. For example – game controllers, printers, and web cameras.
Fixes and Improvements
The Key changelogs are as follows –
- The Company tries to fix the issue that might hinder icons and cursors from appearing as expected.
- Microsoft offers the security patches for the following Windows Components –
Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform, and Frameworks, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Silicon Platform, Internet Explorer, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Kernel, Windows Core Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Peripherals, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Update Stack, and Windows Server.
KB4540670 Known Issues
|When you install KB4467684, you might encounter the failure experience with the cluster service and start with the error “2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort)”. It happens, if the group policy “Minimum Password Length” is configured with greater than 14 characters.||
As a resolution, you can set the domain default “Minimum Password Length” policy to less than or equal to 14 characters.
The company is efficiently working on a resolution. And, they might provide an update in an upcoming release.
With the March Tuesday Patch update, you might struggle with the critical issue – 32-bit applications and processes while using Windows Server containers.
If you need an important direction on updating Windows containers, you can see Windows container version compatibility.
How to Get this Update
There are three different ways to download and apply this patch update on your Windows 10 device. They are –
Note: Do apply the latest SSU i.e. (KB4540723) before downloading this patch update from any of the channels discussed below. This will make sure that the whole update process goes smoothly.
- Windows Update – You will auto-receive a notification regarding the KB4540670 cumulative update.
- Standalone Package – Alternatively, you can open Microsoft Update Catalog, download and run the standalone package that came along with this release. All you need to ensure to check your system architecture before downloading the specific .msu file.
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – This update will sync with WSUS by itself if you configure Products and Classifications as follows –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1607
- Classification: Security Updates
Source – Microsoft Update Catalog