Another cumulative update KB4538461 and KB4540689 are released on Patch Tuesday for Windows 10 1809 and 1803 respectively. This security update increases the version number of Windows 10 1809 to 17763.1098 and that of 1803 to 17134.1365. Along with some known issues, Microsoft introduces a list of security updates for version 1809. However, the company is still not aware of any issues with version 1803.
Users are able to download KB4538461 and KB4540689 as an MSU file format from the Microsoft update catalog site. All you need to upgrade your system to the latest version so that it can be more protected from malicious software. In order to do it, navigate to “Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates”.
Recommended – Windows 10 Cumulative updates complete catalog
General Fixes and Improvements for KB4538461 and KB4540689
These are basically a bug-fixing update that brings no new feature to the Operating System. Here are the key changes –
|Cumulative Update||Changes/ Improvements|
|KB4538461 and KB4540689||
Microsoft releases security updates for the following-
KB4538461 Known Issue
|After the proper installation of KB4493509, some devices related to Asian language packs installed may encounter an error. This error is “0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND.”||
Note – If reinstalling the language pack does not reduce the issue, you need to reset your Windows 10 PC as follows –
The company is working on a resolution. In an upcoming release, they will release an update for this issue and most probably this issue will be sorted out.
|With the Patch day of March 2020, you might experience a nagging issue – 32-bit applications and processes while using Windows Server containers.||In order to get proper guidance on updating Windows containers, you can see Windows container version compatibility.|
How to Get this Update
You can use three different approaches to download and apply this patch update on your Windows 10 device. Here is how to do –
Note: Do apply the latest SSU, (KB4539571) for 1809 and (KB4540724) for 1803, before downloading this patch update from any of the ways explained here. It will assure that the whole update process goes smoothly.
- Windows Update – You will auto-receive a notification regarding the KB4538461 and KB4540689 cumulative update.
- Standalone Package – Alternatively, you can open Microsoft Update Catalog for 1809 and 1803. And then, download and run the standalone package that came along with this release. All you need to check your system architecture before downloading the particular .msu file.
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) – This update syncs with WSUS automatically if you configure Products and Classifications as follows –
- Product: Windows 10, version 1809 and 1803.
- Classification: Security Updates.