Microsoft rolls out the second Tuesday cumulative update i.e. KB4499181 for Windows 10 1703 users and takes the current OS to Build 15063.1805. This Build doesn’t hold any new operating system features, but some valued fixes and improvements.
KB4499181 addresses lots of enhancements such as- Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator, Error 1309, Microsoft Visual Studio, etc. Here, we explore the key attributes along with known issues and the correct way to get this patch update.
KB4499181 Improvements and Fixes
The key changes on this patch update are as follow-
- Brings protection against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities and exposures that occur on different 64 bit Windows 10 versions.
- Allows “uk.gov” prefixes to operate normally on sites comprising HTTP in domains while browsing through Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
- KB4499181 seeks to fix an “Error 1309” which arose when you either install or uninstall .msi or .msp files on a virtual drive.
- Addresses an anomaly that inhibits the Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator start effectively.
- The company tries to fix the issue that causes the text, cell size or layout to behave abruptly in Microsoft Excel. It becomes thinner or broader randomly when you use either MS UI Gothic or MS PGothic fonts.
- They update “Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Windows Storage, and Filesystems, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Server, Windows Virtualization, Windows Kernel, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine” to enhance the security.
KB4499181 Known issues
Issue#1: There appears an error message – “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)” while executing certain operations like- rename of files on Cluster Shared Volume. Generally, it occurs when you take that action on a CSV owner node from the Non-Admin account.
Sol– You can fix this bug by using either of the two functions discussed below.
- Execute such functions using an Administrator account.
- Carry out these operations using a node that doesn’t require CSV ownership.
Download and Install this update on your System
At first, download and install the latest SSU i.e. (KB4500640) on your device to ensure no error messages arise while updating the process. The same will be auto-offered by Microsoft and is accessible at the Windows Update section. You can receive the servicing stack update automatically.
The cumulative update gets downloaded automatically on your Windows 10 device unless you have specifically disabled or paused this. Once downloaded, it waits for the next Shutdown or Restart of System so that it installs the necessary files. When you proceed to turn off your PC, it asks your consent to launch the patch update.
In case, you don’t receive any such messages, you can download KB4499181 manually as well. Here are the steps to follow-
- First of all, press Win+I hotkey together to invoke Settings.
- Select Update & Security category.
- Now choose Windows Update on the left column, then hit Check for Updates button on the right pane.
- Next, the files will start downloading. Wait till it finishes thereafter install the same.
Note: If there is a green tick against this button, there are no new updates available to download. This also becomes green, the latest cumulative update is already installed on your device.
Get the standalone package of the KB4499181 cumulative update.