Microsoft brings a new patch update for Windows 10 19H1 users i.e. KB4497936. This new cumulative update is applicable only if you are using either Fast, Slow or Release Preview rings on your System. Build 18356.30 is again a benchmark release to receive KB4497936 by Windows Update automatically.
There are some quality improvements and fixes which roll out with this patch update. This comes as a normal monthly release cycle for Windows 10 1903. Here, in this blog post, we discourse the key improvements along with known issues on this build.
Key Improvements and fixes on KB4497936
Here is the list of key changes that we receive with this patch update-
- Earlier, when users try MS PGothic or MS UI Gothic fonts on Microsoft Excel, they encounter an underlying bug. This bug alters the text, layout or sometimes even changes the cell size. The Company has addressed this issue on this release.
- Resolves an anomaly where internet explorer doesn’t operate well in case you use roaming profiles or don’t use the Microsoft Compatibility List.
- Dispenses protections against some new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities. They are commonly called Microarchitectural Data Sampling that exists for x64 Windows versions. A few examples are- CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-11091, and CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130. To solve this, read Windows Client and Windows Server articles and adjust registry settings accordingly.
Note: By default, the above registry settings are enabled for Windows Client OS editions whereas disabled for Windows Server OS editions.
Known Issues- KB4497936
|After you install this patch update, there is a probability of getting error “0x800705b4” when you try to launch Windows Sandbox or Windows Defender Application Guard.|
To solve this bug, you (as Admin) should make some changes on the following registry on the Host OS.
Microsoft team is currently working on a resolution for this and may bring the same in an upcoming release.
Download and Install KB4497936 update
You can get this update only if you meet a few prerequisites. They are-
- You must be operating Windows Insider whether it is Slow, Fast or Release Preview Ring.
- The current Build running on your System must be either 18356.30 or later ones.
If you meet the above two requirements, only then you are eligible to receive the KB4497936 update automatically for your Windows copy.
Note: If you are willing to get this latest cumulative update on your PC, do install the current SSU i.e. (KB4500109). This will be offered automatically by the Windows Update section.
Users can manually install and update the standalone package as well by visiting the Microsoft Update Catalog website.