Microsoft rolls a new patch update i.e. KB4495667 for Windows 10 1809 users and it enhances the OS to Build 17763.475. This cumulative update comes with quality advancements for Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Custom URI, and Japanese Era.
Here, we will discourse the key changes and known bugs that came along with this release. Though, the company has provided a temporary solution to some of the issues; they will bring permanent fixes in upcoming releases. Let’s inspect KB4495667 in detail-
Key Changes and improvements of KB4495667
Only the new fixes which are there in this package get downloaded and installed on your System. To receive an update that comes on earlier releases, you have to apply them separately on your PC. The key changes are as follow-
- System Admin can now run Microsoft office setup once they download the installer on Microsoft Edge.
- Resolves the bug that made Internet Explorer Automation fail in few instances.
- Fixes the trouble where Custom URI schemes simply fail to start any application on a local intranet or in trusted sites of Internet Explorer.
- Addresses a bug which restricts certain apps to launch in case you set Roaming AppData folder redirection to a network path.
- Fixes the issue where Gdi32full.dll changes the app configuration and thus it stops responding.
- Fixes an issue that stops the response of UI for few seconds while scrolling in Windows having child windows.
- Addresses a bug that made the touch screen stopped functioning after a Restart.
- Resolves a bug that let a PostScript printer to use incorrect font occasionally.
- Fixes an issue in which users continue to logon into an account with Smart card even after disabling that particular account.
- Users can now access enterprise resources while using Kerberos along with Windows Hello for Business credentials. Earlier, users get multiple prompts to feed in their credentials.
- Fixes a bug that blocks Print Workflow Apps from launching Point & Print.
- Fixes the gradual memory discharge in LSASS.exe on PCs that store cache. In general, this issue affects servers that activate several interactive logon requests like web-servers.
- Resolves an issue where apps belonging to Universal Windows Platform (UWP) stops getting keyboard input whenever there is a crowd on its user interface. This trouble arises as UWP apps have an embedded Web-View Control.
Japanese Era Improvements
- The Company configures the touch keyboard to support the characters of the Japanese Era.
- Fixes a bug which results in ShellExperienceHost.exe to stop responding when the start date on Japanese Era Calendar doesn’t match the first day of the month.
- Earlier an issue restricts the CALDATETIME structure to support more than 4 Japanese Eras. They address this issue as well.
- Updates the existing NLS registry so that it can support the above Era Calendar.
- Fixes a bug which let DateTimePicker display the incorrect date.
- Addresses the Date and Time Settings trouble which stores old Eras cache thus restrict the control over refreshing whenever the time enters into Era.
- Improves the input method editor so that it can support Japanese characters.
- Adds alternative fonts in addition to updating the existing ones on the Japanese Era.
- Adds TTS feature i.e. Text to speech to support its characters.
- Fixes a bug that let Clock and Calendar flyout display wrong weekday when mapped to date on this Calendar.
- KB4495667 addresses a bug that fails RDSH (Remote Desktop Session Host) server connection requests while deployment. It may arise again if there is a deadlock in the Connection Broker.
Some Other important fixes
- KB4495667 allows existing devices to enroll in Microsoft In-tune with the help of Co-management without tackling any user interaction. This is possible only if the Configuration Manager manages the device at hand. Again, there is no requirement of a logged inactive user. There are no prompts of Multi-Factor Authentication as well. It just enables the Co-managed mobile device management to join the Hybrid Azure Active Directory using a credential that it received.
- Improves the access to diagnostic logs or troubleshooting using managed devices like- Business PCs. This is helpful while using a PC cloud management service. This service consists of Microsoft In-tune or any other MDM providers for Windows.
- Addresses a bug that let Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) query to produce the wrong results. This trouble occurs when a filter clause comprises an attribute that has a syntax of a Large Integer type. In such cases, the filter uses the rule LDAP_MATCHING_RULE_BIT_AND. For example- A simple filter such as “msExchRoleAssignmentFlags:1.2.840.113518.104.22.1683:=51539607552” may return no matches when it should.
- Fixes an issue in which LDAP client apps stop responding up to 30 sec in case multiple connections request for several LDAP sessions. This trouble, in general, occurs due to a race condition on wldap32.dll. If that’s the case, you must download and install the update on this LDAP client which calls this .dll function.
- Addresses an error in which roaming profile users simply lose the customized Start menu Settings. This occurs after updating the active OS. Hence after upgrading OS, turn on the UseProfilePathMinorExtensionVersion registry tweak. Take the help of this guide KB4493782 to create a new roaming profile user after updating your PC with a current patch update. Thus you can avoid loss of custom Start menu. You should store the newly created RUP somewhere locally then restart your System to start using its features.
- Addresses a bug that can prevent Cluster Aware Update from restarting nodes when someone reset the cluster’s credentials. Cluster Aware Update should restart nodes just after installing an update. By default, users receive the following error message-
”Failed to restart "NODENAME": (ClusterUpdateException) Failed to restart "NODENAME": (Win32Exception) The user name or password is incorrect.”
KB4495667- Known Issues and their solutions
After installing KB4493509, some of the devices that contain Asian language pack might get the following error-
"0x800f0982 - PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND."
Sol- If you too receive such an error message, you should perform the following actions.
- Uninstall the recent language Pack then re-install it back.
- Go to Windows Update Section and hit Check for Updates button. If there lies any recent cumulative update from April 2019, download and install the same.
In case, you don’t recover from this trouble even after reinstalling the language pack; you should apply these steps on your System-
- Navigate to the Settings app –> Recovery.
- Here, choose to Get Started under the Reset this PC recovery option.
- Henceforth, select Keep my Files and follow the On-Screen instructions.
Users may face an issue while trying to print using Microsoft Edge or many other Universal Windows Platform i.e. UWP apps. The error message is as follow-
"Your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem. 0x80070007e."
Sol- To avoid this bug, you should use other web-browser like- Mozilla Firefox or Chrome to print any documents.
The Company is working on a resolution to this and will provide the same in upcoming updates.
After installing this release, the zone transfers between Primary and Secondary DNS servers may fail. This occurs only over the Transmission Control Protocol i.e. TCP
Sol– Microsoft Team is currently working on a fix to this. Once they develop a resolution, they will provide the same in an upcoming release.
Note: There are some other issues as well, however being repeated, we have not mentioned them here. You can check the release note by Microsoft to view them.
How to get this release for your PC
You will receive a notification regarding this automatically on your PC. However, you can download this patch update manually as well. Here are the steps to follow-
Step-1: Press Win+I to invoke the Settings app.
Step-2: Henceforth, choose Update & Security followed by Windows Update option.
Note: Before upgrading your existing OS with this LCU, do install the latest SSU i.e. (KB4493510) on your PC; as this will ensure the safe and secured update process. You will get this service stacking update automatically or else you can manually download the same.
Step-3: Subsequently, tap Check for updates option on the right panel.
That’s it, you are now able to download and install KB4495667 into your System.
Source- Update Catalogue