Today, Microsoft rolls KB4494440 patch update which will enhance Windows 10 1607 to Build 14393.2969. Though, there are not many major changes which came along with this release; some quality improvements indeed worth trying this.
Here, in this article; we talk about key improvements whether substantial or bigger ones then some known issues- new and old. Let’s minutely explore its new attributes-
Key improvements and changes on KB4494440
Here, we discourse the key features that came along with this cumulative update. They are-
- Dispenses protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities. This is also called Microarchitectural Data Sampling for Windows running on either 64-Bit or x64 architect. Some of these are- CVE-2018-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, and CVE-2018-12130. To solve this, users can follow Windows Client and Windows Server posts to take help of registry settings accordingly. By default, registry settings are enabled for Windows Client OS versions. Again the same stays disabled on Windows Server OS editions.
- Attaches “uk.gov” on HTTP Strict Transport Security Top Level Domains such as- HSTS TLD for two web browsers. They are Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge respectively.
- Resolves an issue which may pop “Error 1309” message on the Screen when you install or uninstall some .msi or .msp file types on a virtual drive.
- Focuses a bug that prevents Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator from even starting.
- Addresses an anomaly that let zone transfers fail over Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). It occurs only when the transfer is going to happen between primary and Secondary servers.
- Earlier, while using either MS UI Gothic or MS PGothic fonts in MS Excel causes abrupt changes in cell sizes becoming wider or narrower than its normal range. They address this bug as well.
- KB4494440 brings quality security updates for Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Virtualization, Windows Datacenter Networking Windows Kernel, and Microsoft Graphics Component. In addition to this list, Windows Cryptography, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, IE10, Microsoft Edge and Microsoft JET Database Engine to receive such updates.
KB4494440 Known Issues
Here come some common known issues which are described below-
SCVMM (short for System Center Virtual Machine Manager) can’t itemize or manage the local switches on hosts. In case, you don’t follow the best practices, a stop error might appear in vfpext.sys files on the hosts.
Sol– You can solve this error message accounting these two helpful methods.
- Run mofcomp on the following mof files on the affected host:
- Do follow the above practices so as to circumvent against a stop error in vfpext.sys in an SDN v2 environment.
Once you install KB4467684, there may appear an error message “2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort)” which bounds cluster services to fail. This bug occurs only if the group policy “Minimum Password Length” is set to 14 characters or more.
Sol– To solve this, you must put either 14 characters or less as “Minimum Password Length” policy thereafter set it as the default domain.
After installing KB4494440 cumulative update, certain operations like rename of files or folders may fail and displays the following error code.
This happens only if you perform such operations on a Cluster Shared Volume i.e. CSV. This can also occur if one doesn’t use administrative privileges to perform such functions on a CSV owner node.
Sol- To solve this, try one of these two solutions.
- Sign in as Admin to perform any similar operation.
- Complete the process from a node which doesn’t require CSV ownership.
You may find trouble while trying Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) after KB4494440 installation to start a device from a WDS server which is designed to use Variable Window Extension. In general, this prematurely terminates any WDS server which tries to download the images. If you are not using a Variable Windows Extension, you may not receive any bugs similar to this.
Sol- There are 3 different methods using which you can solve this bug and they are-
Option 1: Open Command prompt as Admin then type the following and press Enter to execute this command line.
Wdsutil /Set-TransportServer /EnableTftpVariableWindowExtension:No
Option 2: Use the Windows Deployment Services UI.
- Open Windows Deployment Services from Windows Administrative Tools.
- Expand Servers and make a right-click on WDS server.
- Open its properties and clear the Enable Variable Window Extension box on the TFTP tab.
Option 3: Navigate to below registry key and put “0” in its value field.
Restart the WDS-Server service after disabling the Variable Window Extension.
How to download KB4494440 patch-update on your PC
You will encounter a notification regarding this on your PC automatically. However, you can download this cumulative update manually as well. Here are the steps to follow-
Step-1: Press Win+I to cite Settings app.
Step-2: Henceforth, choose Update & Security next Windows Update option.
Note: Before upgrading Windows 10 1607 existing build with this LCU, do install the latest SSU i.e. (KB4498947) on your PC; as this will ensure the safe and secured update process. You can get Service Stacking Update automatically or else you can manually download the same.
Step-3: Subsequently, tap Check for updates option on the right pane.
That’s it, you are now able to download and install KB4494440 into your System.
Source- Update Catalogue