This second Tuesday, April 2019 patch-up update KB4493474 is out and this will update the existing Windows 10 1703 to OS build 16299.1087. This will be the last delta update for 17H1 and from now onwards no new operating system feature will appear. However, security and quality updates continue to come through express or cumulative updates.
Here, in this article, we will discuss some key changes brought on this release along with some known issues. Let’s move to know what’s in store for Windows 10 OS version 1703.
General Improvements and fixes- Windows 10 1703
- They fix an issue that causes apps to crash when an exception comes out during node operations. This occurs only for those apps which use MSXML6 core services.
- Earlier when you edit a group policy object that contains policy preferences for IE 10 internet settings, the group policy editor fails to respond. They have now fixed this problem.
- They resolve the issue in which using per font EUDC causes a BSOD error on your System.
- Certain applications such as Windows Storage and Filesystems, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows server, graphics components, etc. receive security updates. A few other applications such as Windows App Platforms and frameworks, Windows MSXML and Microsoft JET Database Engine also get similar updates.
Known Issues- Build KB4493474
|When you install this patch-up, Custom URI Schemes may not start the respective app for local intranet or trusted sites on IE 10. This is applicable only for Application Protocol handlers.||
Here, we explain two different methods to fix this issue-
1. Do a right-click on the URL link then choose open in new window or tab option.
2. Turn On the protected mode in internet explorer for trusted sites or a local intranet. Here is the procedure-
At last, hit OK and restart your PC so that changes made so far come into effect.
Microsoft is working on this and once found, will bring this with its next cumulative update.
How to get this update
If you are willing to download and install this patch up update i.e. KB4493474 on your System, make sure to install the latest SSU (KB4487327) as well. This is because it will enhance the reliability of the whole Update process thus you won’t get any surprise bugs.
Note: SSU stands for servicing stack updates whereas LCU for the latest cumulative update.
Windows users will receive this automatically on their System. However, if this doesn’t appear for any reason, you can download this file manually too. Here is the procedure to get this release-
- At first, navigate to the following path.
Settings --> Update & Security --> Windows Update
- Here on the right pane, select Check for updates option.
You can also have a Standalone Package of this update from Microsoft Update Catalog.