Windows 10 often fails to update and rather return an error message with some code. In such cases, users tend to go behind in solving the issue. However, one may solve any update-related issues simply by downloading and installing the latest cumulative update via the Microsoft Update catalog.
RESTORO is a great repair tool that automatically finds and repairs different issues on Windows OS. Having this tool will protect your PC against malicious codes, hardware failures, and several other bugs. Moreover, this also ensures you use your device to its fullest capabilities and performance.
Get the Restoro Tool
Usually, the catalog site offers updates in the form of
.msu file extension which is easy to install i.e. double-click on the setup file and the installation starts immediately afterward. However, what if the downloaded file bears a .cab extension? In this post, we will discuss the essential steps required to install Windows 10 cab updates using the DISM tool.
How to Install Windows 10 Cab updates via DISM
To install Windows 10 Cab updates, use the following steps –
- First of all, you need to download the Cab files (x86/X64).
- After the downloading completes, launch Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- On the elevated console, copy/paste the below code, and press Enter –
DISM.exe / Online / Add-Package / PackagePath: Pathofthecabfile
Note: Replace the “
Pathofthecabfile” with the actual cab file location. For instance, if you have placed the cab file under the root directory, use this path – C:\KB_number-x64.cab.
Alternatively, you may also open the folder containing the cab file. Here, while holding the Shift key, make a right-click, and select
copy as path from the list of available options. You may use this copied path and replace the “
Pathofthecabfile” in the above command. If you have followed this way, the code should resemble the following –
DISM.exe / Online / Add-Package / PackagePath: "C: \ Users \ ProfileName \ Downloads \ KB_number-x64.cab"
- In case you don’t want your system to restart after applying the update, add the following to the whole command –
/ NoRestart / quiet.
- Windows will reboot once the installation completes. In case it doesn’t, force restart your PC.
Error 87 while installing the Windows 10 cab updates
If you are getting the error 87 while applying the cab updates on your computer, check the following –
- Command Prompt should be running having Administrative privileges.
- The path location that you are providing should be correct.