The new chromium version of Microsoft Edge is now available for all types of Linux distributions. One may use either GUI or Terminal to finish any installation on different Linux distros.
Microsoft Edge is basically available in two file extensions and they are (.deb) and (.rpm). While the “.deb” version is for all Linux distributions, the “.rpm” version is for Red Hat Linux distribution only.
How to Install Microsoft Edge on Linux
Chromium-based Edge is now available for all Linux distros. Here’s how you can download and install Chromium-based edge on Linux –
- First of all, visit the official site of Microsoft Edge.
- Here, you will find an option to “Download Edge for Linux”.
- Well, click on it and select either Linux (.deb) or Linux (.rpm). As stated earlier, go for the rpm one only when you are currently using the Red Hat Linux distribution.
- Read Microsoft Software License Terms and click the option – “Accept and download“.
- When the .deb file extension is downloaded on your computer, right-click on the setup file and choose the option – “Open with Software Install”.
- Click the Install button next and this will begin installing Microsoft Edge on your Linux distro.
That’s it, restart your PC next. From the next time you log into your Linux OS, Chromium-based Edge must be running and is available under the App menu as well.
Install Edge on Linux distros using commands
Alternatively, you may also install Chromium Edge by running a few codes on the Linux terminal. Here’s what you need to do to install Chromium-based Edge on Linux –
- First of all, click the terminal icon to launch Terminal on Linux.
- On the elevated prompt, type the following, and press Enter.
sudo apt update
- This code will run and let you know of the processes that it found installed on your PC.
- Now, copy/paste the code below and press Enter –
sudo apt install microsoft-edge-stable
- The installation of Microsoft Edge will begin shortly afterward.
How to uninstall Edge on Linux
To uninstall the Chromium-based Edge on Linux, do the following –
- First of all, launch the Ubuntu software app.
- Go to the Installed tab next.
- Under the “Add-ons” section, you will find all apps running/installed on your machine.
- Select Microsoft Edge and hit the Remove button.
- That’s it, the uninstallation will soon start and remove Microsoft Edge.
Just like installation, you may uninstall Microsoft Edge by executing a few commands. Here are the codes that you require executing on your Linux distro –
- Open Terminal first.
- Copy/paste the following and press Enter –
sudo apt remove microsoft-edge-stable
That’s it, Microsoft Edge uninstallation will soon start on your Linux distro.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.