Although Windows 10 is one of the most used operating systems, still it triggers errors every now and then. One such error is reported to be Error 0x80072EE2 which usually appears while attempting to update your PC.
This error code may appear when your Internet connection is unstable or something blocks the Update service on Windows 10. This prevents it from connecting to the Microsoft Server. This Error code refers to the ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT and appears along with an error message:
Windows Update encountered an unknown error, or Windows could not search for new updates.
What causes Update Error 0x80072EE2 on Windows 10?
This error mostly occurs when there is a problem connecting to the update server while updating your operating system. Moreover, this error may also appear when your device meets one or a combination of the below issues –
- Network Issues
- Internal Glitches
- Missing or Damaged system files, folders
- Corrupt Update components
Fix Update Error 0x80072EE2 on Windows 10
To fix this Windows update Error 0x80072EE2, all the possible methods are given below:
1] Check your Internet connection
The chances for this Error 0x80072EE2 are more when you are not connected to a proper internet connection. So before going for any other methods, first ensure that your system has consistent internet connectivity.
You can check your internet connection from the network icon given on the right side of the taskbar. In case when your PC fails to connect to the internet, restart your PC and try it connect with other connections. Check if it helps.
2] Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
Another method you can try to fix this Error 0x80072EE2 is by running the Windows Update troubleshooter. Here are the detailed steps to run this tool.
- Click Start and open Settings by tapping on the Gear icon.
- Now go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Select the Windows Update and then hit the Run the troubleshooter.
- Now follow the instructions as given on the screen and let the process finish.
Restart your computer and see if the error is resolved.
3] Use the System File Checker utility
Removal of the corrupted files using this SFC utility may help you fix this error code. To run this tool, we present you all the detailed steps given below:
- Open the Command Prompt with admin access.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and hit Enter.
- Wait for a while to let the scanning complete.
- Reboot your PC and check for the error to resolve.
4] Disable the Firewall
Sometimes this problem may appear when the Microsoft Firewall stops your computer from accessing the server. In such a case, turn off the Firewall temporarily and check if it works. Here is how to do –
- Click Start and open Control Panel by typing it in the search box.
- Go to System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the left pane, choose the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Under the Private network settings, check the box next to Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended).
- Similarly, go to the Public network settings and mark the Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) checkbox.
- Finally, click on the OK button to save the changes.
5] Add the Windows Update server to your trusted website’s list
If the above methods are unable to solve your issue, try adding the updated server address to your trusted website’s list. The steps for this process are given below:
- Search for Internet Options in the search box and select the same.
- Now go to the Security tab and choose the Trusted Sites.
- Tap on Sites.
- Uncheck the box beside Require server verification (HTTPS:) for all sites in this zone in the Trusted sites window.
- Now type the following addresses in the box under Add this website to the zone one by one. Tap on Add after entering each address.
- Close the Trusted Sites window and hit OK to save changes.
See if you still receive the error.
6] Reset the Windows 10 Update Components
In case when none of the above methods work, then reset the Windows 10 Update components and it should resolve the problem successfully.
I hope that the above methods help you in fixing your issue.
Tip: If you are facing update, activation, or driver issues on your Windows PC, try RESTORO PC Repair Tool. This software will scan your device for potential issues and resolve them automatically.