Did you recently experience Mail error code 0x80072746 on your system, while trying to sync Windows Mail client or loading mail? In this case, when you load a specific Mail; the error message pops up which reads-
"We’re having a problem downloading messages. Make sure you have a connection and your account info is correct, and then try again”
The above error indicates that the network connection is either abruptly closed by Remote host or the existing HTTP doesn’t support VPN connections. Sometimes blocked svchost.exe file in Windows firewall may also lead to Mail error code 0x80072746. Temporarily disable Windows Firewall then delete and re-add the problematic account might solve the ongoing issue. Let’s discourse this error message and its solutions in detail-
- Set up your account manually
- Allowing svchost.exe in Windows Firewall
- Change VPN Settings
- Via Windows Defender Firewall
How to fix Mail error code 0x80072746 in Windows 10
Here are the step-wise workarounds to fix Mail error code 0x80072746 in Windows 10 PC-
1. Set up your account manually
Most of the time, using a less popular email click such as TalkTalk, GoDaddy, or company-provided specific email can cause error 0x80072746. This is because your Windows client can’t manage these settings properly. The re-settings mail app is the best way to solve this issue. To do this, you should manually assign POP & IMAP on Windows mail client using these steps-
- At first, go to Cortana and type Windows Mail in the text box, once found click on the same.
- Move the mouse pointer at the bottom on the current page, tap Settings ( Gear) icon thereafter Manage Accounts from the list.
- Here, click on the mail account that generates the bug then hit Remove this account from your device on the succeeding page. (See snapshot)
- Again tap the Delete button to save the changes.
- Henceforth visit the email provider website and copy the manual settings of IMAP. If IMAP setting is not listed here, select POP3.
- Subsequently, return to the mail app and navigate to the following path-
Settings-> Manage account-> Add account
- Here scroll the cursor down and tap Advanced Setup option.
- Succeeding after, select Internet email and fill the relevant information as well as IMAP setting that you have previously fetched.
After applying these changes successfully, tap Sign In button and check whether you are getting the faulty message or not. In case you still experience the same problem, try next workaround.
2. Allowing svchost.exe in Windows Firewall
If the Mail error code 0x80072746 still persists, configure svchost.exe application in the Windows firewall. To perform this, you need to add this file on Firewall using following steps-
At first, open Control Panel and move to the Windows Defender Firewall section.
When a new window comes in view, select Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall on the left pane.
On the next screen, Select Change Settings followed by Allow another app button.
Henceforth, select the Browse button on the following window.
Now navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and locate svchost.exe from the list.
Succeeding after, hit Add button to include this application then OK to save the changes.
Once you allow Svchost.exe application on Windows Firewall, move to the Mail client and see whether you can access emails without any interruption.
3. Change VPN Settings
As per some User’s report, change in VPN connection may fix this Mail error code 0x80072746 on Windows PC. Here is the procedure to follow-
- Press Win & I hotkey to invoke Settings.
- On the pop-up window, select Network & Internet category then hit VPN on the left column.
- Again move to the right panel and ensure Allow VPN over metered network toggle switch is turned ON.
- Henceforth, select the Change adapter options link followed by your current internet connectivity network.
- Make a right-click on your LAN (Wi-Fi) connectivity then select Properties from the context menu.
- Here select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/PV6) on the list then tap OK to confirm the changes.
Once the task is over, close all apps and see if the error code 0x80072746 vanishes on the mail or not.
4. Via Windows Defender Firewall
If the above processes fail to solve the problem, it might be due to interrupting the connection between Windows mail and email server. As a result, there is the possibility of occurrence of Mail error code 0x80072746. To avoid this trouble, you need to temporarily disable the firewall then delete and re-add the problematic account on to your mail client. When you add it back successfully, enable Windows Firewall again. Here are the steps to guide you properly-
Delete and re-add problematic mail account
- Go to the system tray and tap Mail icon, once the app opens up; click on the Settings option.
- Select Manage Accounts on the pop-up window thereafter tap the account which is creating a nuisance.
- Here, choose to Delete this account from your device henceforth hit the Delete button to remove the account from the list.
- Now return to the home page of Windows Mail and select the Account category at the left column.
- Again, Jump to the right-hand side and select the Add account under the Manage accounts section.
- After this, go through the on-screen instructions to re-add the respective email using the proper credentials.
Once this task is finished, enable Windows Defender Firewall again.
Enable Windows Defender Firewall
At first, right-click on the Windows key using your keyboard and select the Run option from the Power menu.
Here in void box, type wf.msc then Hit OK. It will launch
Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security window.
On the Public Profile section, select the Windows Defender Firewall Properties link.
Next tap Domain Profile tab and set Firewall state to On.
Succeeding after, hit Apply and OK button to save the changes.
Finally, close all opened apps and Reboot your system.
Now open your mail client, it may start without any Mail error code 0x80072746. Hope, you get what you were looking for. In case, you have any query related to this post, do ask us in the below comment section.