Seeing so many changes and improvements on Build 19044.1147 in the Dev Channel, it seems like Windows 10 21H2 will be a major update and may come by the mid of Oct 2021. Microsoft is already working on several projects for this version like touch keyboard improvements, News & features, Start titles, and several others.
A lot of other features that they have previously set to come with the May 2021 Update are now being developed under version 21h2. Some of these features include DNS configuration and disk management. Besides, there are features that recently got unearthed like News & Features, Start Titles still requires development.
In short, Windows 10 21h2 is going to be a major update for those who can’t install Windows 11 because of Secure boot or TPM 2.0. In case you want to try out this new version before its actual release, become an insider, and upgrade your device. Or, you may download the Windows 10 21h2 iso file, make it bootable, and clean install it on your computer.
Clean install Windows 10 21H2 using an ISO file
If you want to fresh install Windows 10 21H2, you need to first get access to its ISO file. However, as this version is due in Oct 2021, you can’t get the official disc images. What you can get for now is those which come for insiders in the Dev or Beta Channel.
1] Get Windows 10 Oct 2021 Iso File
As of now, Windows 10 21H2 is available only for the insiders, we will provide you links using which you can get its co_release i.e. insider preview. Its integrated updates will be available by the mid of Oct 2021. After its release to the general public, you may download version 21h2 via normal routes i.e. Windows Update, Update Assistant, or Media Creation Tool. To know more, read on how to clean install Windows 10 21h2 normally.
Here are the links of Windows 10 21H2 ISO files –
Note: Since Microsoft has not yet officially provided the disc images of Windows 10 21h2, the links above are from third-party sources.
You don’t want to install an iso file from any external source, become an insider instead, and get it via the Windows Update section.
2] Fresh Install Windows 10 21H2 via Rufus
Now that you have the disc image of Windows 10 version 21h2, use these steps to clean install it on your computer –
- First of all, download a third-party tool like ‘Rufus‘ that can make the ISO file bootable. Rufus is a lightweight app that hardly takes 1.5 MB of disk space. If you don’t want to install any third-party app, use its portable version.
- After downloading Rufus, double-click on its icon to start the application.
- During the launch, this may ask – “Do you want to allow Rufus to check for applications updates online“. Click “No” as you already have the ISO file.
- Insert a USB drive to one of the ports of the computer and wait till Rufus detects the plugged-in device.
- Click Select and then browse to the folder that contains the ISO file. The image option will automatically select “Windows Standard Installation“. In case you want to install Windows on a portable drive, change this option to “Windows To Go“.
- By default, the below settings get auto-selected.
- Partition Scheme – GPT
- Target System – UEFI (non CSM)
- File System – NTFS or FAT32
Note: If your device doesn’t support UEFI, change the above options as mentioned below –
- Partition Scheme – MBR
- Target System – BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)
- File System – FAT32
- Hit Start and wait for this conversion to complete.
- Unplug the USB drive when the bootable file is ready i.e. reaches 100%.
3] Clean Install Windows 10 Oct 2021 Update
Here’s how to clean install Windows 10 21H2 using the bootable ISO image –
- Plugin the bootable media into one of the ports and restart your computer.
- While your PC is loading, press the boot menu like – Esc, Del, F6, F9, or F12.
- Select the USB device to launch Windows Setup Screen.
- Choose preferred options on the Windows Setup screen such as – Language, Time/Currency, and Keyboard.
- Click Next followed by Install now.
- Tick the box left of “Accept the license terms” and hit Next again.
- When prompted “Which type of installation do you want”, select the option – Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- Select the disk drive on which you want to install Windows 10 21H2 OS, and hit the format button.
- Keep all other hard drivers as they are if you don’t want to get rid of data available on those disks.
- Click Next again and the Windows 10 21H2 starts installing.
- Wait for Windows to install successfully. In the end, you will be greeted by the Out-of-box experience screen.
- Unplug the attached media, and follow the on-screen instructions.
That’s it, your device is now upgraded to Windows 10 version 21H2.