Windows Update Error 0x8007139f is a recent bug that appears when users try to update their operating system. The update process keeps on bringing Security patches that smoothen different functions or apps on our PC. The usage of third party antivirus may also create this problem, hence we suggest you use the built-in security app i.e. Windows Defender on your System.
Here, in this article, we describe different ways to fix this trouble such as- Run Troubleshooter, sfc/ scannow, DISM, update Windows components, etc. If these tools fail, we will see some other possible workarounds like- new user account, download update manually, etc. We will also cover System Restore and in-place upgrade as last resort to fix this trouble. Let’s explore them one by one in detail-
- Uninstall third-party antivirus
- Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Perform System File Checker
- Run DISM command
- Create a new user account
- Reset Windows Update components
- Try to install the update manually
- Perform a System Restore
- Perform an in-place upgrade
Windows 10 Update error 0x8007139f solution
Below you can find different ways to fix Windows update error 0x8007139f on your System-
1. Uninstall third-party antivirus
A third-party antivirus can do much harm than its counter good parts, therefore it is better to uninstall any such programs on your System. As we all know they are capable of blocking few features of Windows and in fact, they do restrict downloading new updates thus causing Windows 10 Update error 0x8007139f. You can always use Windows Defender– an inbuilt Security app by Windows. Here is the procedure to remove such software-
- At first, Go to Cortana and type Control Panel in the text box.
- Now do the click on the best-matched result to launch this app.
- Again in the next window, tap View by drop-down menu and select category followed by Uninstall a program option.
- Here, select installed antivirus program from the list thereafter hit the Uninstall button.
Succeeding after following on-screen instructions to complete the whole process.
When the antivirus program is uninstalled, do Reboot your System to remove its leftover files.
If you are still getting the above error message, try below-mentioned workarounds-
2. Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Running Windows Update troubleshooter might help you to fix this bug. It is developed to solve common issues that appear from time to time in PC. Here are the steps to follow-
- Press Win & I hotkey altogether to launch the Settings app.
- On the visible window, tap Update & Security thereafter Troubleshoot at the left column.
- Now hit the Windows update option followed by Run the troubleshooter button.
- This wizard will start detecting trouble automatically and if found then fix the same.
When it completes the task, check whether the problem has solved or not. If not, proceed ahead with the next solution.
3. Perform System File Checker
System File checker command is a utility command which can identify and repair any corrupt system file if it exists. This might help you to rectify Windows Update error 0x8007139f on your computer. Here’s how to do-
- Right-click on Start and select Run from the list.
- Type cmd in the text box then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter simultaneously to launch it as an Administrator.
- Tap Yes on UAC prompt to sanction the access.
- Again, near blinking cursor, type the command code (see snapshot) then hit Enter to execute this process.
This is a time taking process, so wait patiently (approx. 15 minutes) until the task gets over.
When it finishes up, Restart your system to save the changes made so far.
4. Run DISM command
If sfc/ scannow doesn’t resolve the Windows 10 Update error 0x8007139f issue, try applying a DISM scan on your PC. Here is the complete procedure-
- Hit the Search button and type Command Prompt. Again, right-click on its icon thereafter select Run as Administrator option on the Context menu.
- On UAC prompt, hit Yes to permit the access.
- Now in the elevated command prompt, copy/paste the following code followed by the Enter key to run this command.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
The scanning process will start automatically, wait until this process finishes up.
At last, Restart your PC and check whether this Update issue gets resolved or not.
5. Create a new user account
In certain cases, you should create a new user account as this can fix this particular bug on your PC. Here are the steps to create a new user account-
- Press Win & X hotkey together and select Settings from the list.
- On pop up window, tap Accounts category followed by Family & other people on the left column.
- Here, switch to the right pane and click Add someone else to this PC option.
- Again choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information on a new page.
Once you fill-up the required credentials then select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
Succeeding after, enter the user name of the newly created account followed by the Next button.
When you have created the new account, sign out of your old user id and log in using new credentials.
6. Reset Windows Update components
A few times, Windows Update error 0x8007139f may arise due to fault in Windows Update Components. The step-wise process is described below-
- First, open Command Prompt with administrative privileges (see section 4).
- On UAC dialog, hit Yes to let open this desktop app.
When the prompt appears up, type the below code one after another then press Enter at end of each command.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
At last, Reboot your PC so that changes made so far come into effect. We hope, this error message gets resolved by this time. If not, then you might have to update your operating system. We have described the same in the next fix.
7. Try to install the update manually
Windows 10 brings cumulative updates for each version on a regular basis. All you need to do is to download and install such LCUs on your System. You can follow these steps-
- At first, visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Now type the latest KB’s name in Search field thereafter press Enter.
- Here, you will see a list of matching options with the download link.
- Download this update on your System then double click on its setup file to install the same.
At last, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the whole process. Doing so, you may solve this issue.
Note: This process doesn’t solve the Windows Update error 0x8007139f permanently as this will arise again.
8. Perform a System Restore
If Windows Update error 0x8007139f continues to exist on your PC while trying to update, System Restore can aid you in solving this particular bug. This tool (if created in the past) keeps a backup of all important files in case if they are lost somehow. Follow these steps to perform a system restore.
- Jointly press Win & S to launch Cortana, type system restores thereafter choose to Create a restore point to launch System Properties page.
- Under the System Protection tab, hit System Restore button henceforth Next to proceed ahead.
If you have created a restore point at some point in the past, check to Show more restore points option than then the Next button.
Go ahead and follow on-screen instructions until this task gets finished.
At last, when this process finishes up, try to download and install the pending update.
9. Perform an in-place upgrade
In a few situations, any of the workarounds (described above) won’t help to resolve this issue. If that’s the case, an in-place upgrade will surely help to fix Windows 10 Update error 0x8007139f.
This tool will reinstall the Windows OS as well as update the same to its latest version. To perform this task, you have to follow the below procedure-
- At first, visit the official website to download the Media Creation Tool.
- Now select Update now buttons followed by the Next button.
- Thereafter select Download and install updates (recommended) then hit Next.
- It will ready the file to install the update, now click Change what to keep.
Here, select Keep personal files and apps there forth Next option.
Follow the on-screen instructions until this task is over.
We hope you find your own way to fix Windows 10 Update error 0x8007139f on your PC. In case, you still have an issue, do ask us in the Comments section below.