Recently we have come across users facing Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba on Windows 10 PC. This is a very common error message which frequently arrives if certain parameters are not matched. Anyways, here we try to analyze the possible reasons behind its occurrence along with the proper solutions to this.
A third-party antivirus program, obsolete Windows Defender, and its improper settings may lead to Defender error code 0x800106ba on your System. Hence, uninstalling third-party anti-malware programs, change their settings back to automatic are some possible workarounds. If it doesn’t help, uninstall the Windows Defender app, reinstall and register its DLL file will surely fix this issue. Let’s explore them in detail-
- Set Windows Defender Service to Automatic
- Conflict with other Antivirus
- Uninstall Windows Defender
- Install Windows Defender again
- Re-register Windows Defender DLL Files
What are the Error Messages
When this fault occurs, it stuck the system with the following pop up messages on your screen-
- Error Code 0x800106ba Application failed to initialize
- Error Code 0x800106ba The systems license has expired. Your logon request is denied.
Fix- Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba
Below is the stepwise procedure on how to fix Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba-
1. Set Windows Defender Service to Automatic
Windows Defender is an in-built application of OS that is installed at the time of booting. Sometimes, when its settings set to manual may create issues like- error code 0x800106ba. Here is the procedure is to change its settings from manual to automatic-
- First, press the Window key & R to launch Run.
- In the text box copy/paste Services.msc then hit Enter to display the list of services installed on your system.
- Succeeding after, scroll down the cursor and locate Windows Defender Antivirus Services.
- Once found, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Here, check its startup status as Running thereafter change the Startup type to Automatic.
- At last tap OK and Restart your system.
The next time when you log into your System and scan the drives hope the error code 0x800106ba has solved.
2. Conflict with other Antivirus
Sometimes, when a third-party antivirus is installed on your system and you try to scan a specific drive, it may cause Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba. To overcome this trouble, uninstall other Anti-malware applications and see if the issue has solved or not. Here are the steps to follow-
- Go to Cortana and type CP in the search box, select Control Panel from the well-suited result.
- Under the Program section, select Uninstall a program link.
Note: Make sure that you have chosen the category as View by mode using the drop-down menu.
- Again from the installed application’s list, select Anti-malware software and tap the Uninstall button.
- Now go through the on-screen instructions to complete this process.
Finally, Reboot your system and check if the issue gets resolved or not.
3. Uninstall Windows Defender
If the above process does nothing in fixing the issue Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba, uninstall this system software and reinstall it again. Try the below procedure-
- Right-click on Start and select the Run option from the list.
- In the void, type appwiz.cpl then press Enter key.
- Now from the list of applications select Windows Defender then tap the Remove button.
- Thereafter follow On-screen instructions to complete this process.
At last, Restart your system to completely remove this application from your System.
Note: After completing this process, you should use the registry cleaner tool to clean the registry editor. This is to ensure that no orphan files are left behind in their respective entry.
4. Install Windows Defender again
Once you completely uninstall the Windows Defender Security program, you need to install it back. To perform this task, go to the official website Microsoft Windows Defender and download then install the same on your system.
After this, update this program and check again whether the issue has solved or not.
In case the trouble still persists, register the Windows Defender DLL file.
5. Re-register Windows Defender DLL Files
To register Windows Defender DLL files you have to go through the below procedure –
- Press the Win logo and R to launch Run.
- In the text box type cmd and simultaneously press Alt+Shift+Enter to launch this app as Administrator.
- Near blinking cursor copy/paste the below code one by one and hit Enter at the end to execute them.
1. wuapi.dll 2. wuaueng.dll 3. wucltui.dll 4. wups.dll 5. wuweb.dll 6. atl.dll 7. softpub.dll 8. wintrust.dll 9. initpki.dll 10. mssip32.dll
Hope after trying the last fix, the issue Windows Defender error code 0x800106ba has definitely got solved. Make a practice of Update the Windows Defender antivirus program on a regular basis. This, in turn, will ensure that your System always remains safe and secured.