Windows Defender Error 0X8007139F is a nagging issue in Windows 10 with several users complaining about this on Windows forums. Microsoft has come very far by improving its native security app to One that we appreciate much these days. This app is quite pro-active and saves huge bucks that might go in the vein while purchasing third party anti-malware programs.
This security app is prone to different bugs (like any other program) that appear from time to time. Here, we explore different ways to fix this error message on your System. They are-
- Disable third-party antivirus application
- Install Latest Updates
- Turn on Windows Firewall
- Set Windows Defender Services to Automatic
- Disable Real-time Protection Security
- Change the Power Options
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Run System File Checker
- Perform DISM
- Create a new User Account
- Reset Windows Update Components
- Perform a System Restore
- Check the exclusions list
RECOMMENDED: Windows Update error 0x8007139f on Windows 10.
Different ways to fix Windows Defender Error 0X8007139f
Here we describe different ways to resolve this error message on your System. They are as follow-
1. Disable third-party antivirus application
Third-party anti-malware application is known to block several services of system files, hence the best solution is to either disable or uninstall such programs. Here are the steps to follow-
- Press Win logo & I to launch the Settings app.
- On a new page, tap Apps category followed by Apps & Features on the left column.
- Now switch to the right pane, scroll down the cursor and locate installed antivirus program.
- Once found, do the click on it and hit the Uninstall button.
- A new dialog appears up consequently, tap Uninstall to confirm the changes.
When this process is complete, Restart your system and check whether Windows Defender is working properly or not. If not, try other workarounds.
2. Install the latest updates
If your system has a pending update, this may also create such bugs on your system. Although, Windows download and install the latest update on a regular basis, in case it is skipped for any reason, do perform the same manually. Here is the complete manual procedure-
- Press Win logo to open Start, select Gear icon (Settings) from the list.
- Now tap Update & Security category thereafter Windows Update on the left column.
- Switch to the right pane then hit the Download button (if it displays any pending Updates available) and wait until it gets over.
Once it is completed, Reboot your System. This process will also update Windows Defender application, I hope this time you solve this threat using Windows Defender without any interruption.
3. Turn On Windows Firewall
In case somehow the issue still persists on your system and hamper the functionality of Windows Defender, it might be due to Firewall set as disabled. This might be the probable culprit that doesn’t register file thus disturbing the system performance. If that’s the case, enable the Firefox to solve the Windows Defender error 0X8007139f on your Windows 10 PC. Here are the steps to follow-
- Go to Cortana and type the Control panel in the text box.
- On the next screen, click on the view by the drop-down menu then select Large icons subsequently press Windows Defender Firewall on the same page.
- Again, on the next window hit Turn Windows Firewall on or off in left pane.
Now mark the check-boxes of Windows Defender firewall in both i.e. public as well as private network settings then OK to save the changes.
This will block any malicious program that tries to enter into your system, thus fixing the Windows Defender Error 0X8007139f issue.
4. Set Windows Defender Services to Automatic
According to some user’s point of view, setting the startup type as automatic then starting such services may also solve this problem on your system. You can find the procedure below-
- Press Win & X hotkey and select Run on the context menu.
- On the popup dialog, type services.msc then tap OK to launch the System Configuration window.
- Form the list of Services, locate Windows Defender Antivirus Services and right-click on it.
- Select Properties from the context menu and set its running Status to Start.
Thereafter, change its startup type to Automatic then hit OK to save the changes.
At last, Restart your system and check if the trouble has gone out or not.
5. Disable Real-time protection Security
Sometime when a Real-time protection option is set as Enabled, it may also arise this trouble. Therefore, disabling this option on your log in screen might work like a charm to get rid off this issue. Performing this task is quite simple, just follow the below process-
- Go to the notification area on the system tray and select Windows Security.
- When the page comes into view, tap the Virus & threat protection category.
- Now select Manage settings inside Virus & threat protection settings section.
- Again on the next window, disable Real-time protection toggle switch henceforth hit Apply then OK button.
When this method completes up, Restart your system and see if the Windows Defender Error 0X8007139f gets fixed or not. If not, try the next section.
6. Change the power options
If you continue experiencing the Windows Defender error message, the problem might be inside your power settings. Follow these steps to overcome this bug on the system-
- Go to Cortana and type Power & sleep Settings, once found click on it.
- On the Right pane window, move to the Related settings category and choose Additional power settings.
- Here hit Change plan settings under the “Hide additional plan” section and reset Turn off the display.
- Henceforth, click on Put the computer to sleep drop down options and select Never.
At last, tap the Save changes button to confirm the changes made so far.
Finally, try to quick scan using Windows Defender, hope this time you will be successful to remove this error.
7. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update troubleshooter is an in-built app of the Windows Operating system, which works as a diagnostic tool. It can solve numerous bugs that occur from time to time on your Windows machine. By default, this can fix any Windows related bugs automatically that are associated with Windows Defender. To move ahead, apply these steps-
- Press Win & I altogether to launch Settings.
- When Settings app pops up, tap Update & Security thereafter Troubleshoot on the left pane.
- Again switch to the right pane and click on Windows update option next Run the troubleshooter button.
This wizard will start detecting and repairing any problems that lie inside your system. Once it gets finished, Restart your system and check whether this error has eliminated or not.
8. Run System File Checker command
This is the most common workarounds that can solve any issue which occurs on Windows 10 PC. When systems software becomes obsolete, they start creating several types of issues. This utility program will scan the whole System for faulty files and repair the same if doable. Follow these steps-
- Hit Search box and type Command Prompt, right-click on the best-matched result then select Run as Administrator option.
- If UAC prompts, hit Yes to permit the access.
- Again on elevated command prompt, type the following code and hit Enter at the end.
This is a time-consuming process, so wait accordingly. When it completes the scanning, Restart your system and try to quickly scan using Windows Defender. Hope this time you may succeed to do the same.
9. Perform DISM scan
In most cases, such kind of critical trouble occurs due to a fault in system files. The DISM scans and looks for any corrupted file which may aid to resolve this issue.
- At first, jointly press Windows key & R to launch Run dialog.
- Here in the text box, type cmd and simultaneously press Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter to open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Click Yes on UAC prompt to authorize this access.
- On the elevated command prompt, copy-paste the below code then hit Enter to execute it.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Don’t interrupt your computer for approx 20 minutes, this is the max time it takes to complete this task. Once over, Restart your system and check if Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f still exists or not while scanning.
10. Create a New User Account
Sometimes, when a log-in user account somehow gets damaged, Windows Defender error code 0x8007139f might occur on your system. In such cases, one should create and change the User account to fix this bug. The procedure is quite easy, just follow the below instructions-
Right-click on the Windows icon at the left corner of the desktop and select Settings from the list.
On new Screen, tap Accounts category followed by Family & Other people on the left pane.
Switch to the corresponding right-hand side and select Add Someone Else To This PC.
Now click on I Don’t Have This Person’s Sign In Information followed by the Next option.
Here, enter a valid email-id or phone then hit Add A User Without A Microsoft Account option.
Succeeding after, put the Username and Password in their respective fields then jump to the Next option.
At last, switch to the newly created user account and check if the issue has solved or not. If not, look at other ways-
11. Reset the Windows Update Components
When Windows Update components are not arranged sequentially, it may lead to such bugs. Hence, to avoid this trouble, reset OS components using the following commands-
Firstly, hit on the search icon and write Command prompt.
Right-click on the best-matched result and select Run as Administrator option.
Tap Yes on UAC prompt to permit the access.
Now near blinking cursor copy/paste these codes one by one and hit Enter at end of each command.
1. Firstly, ‘net stop wuauserv’. Then, ‘net stop cryptSvc’ 2. After that, ‘net stop bits’. Now, ‘net stop msiserver’ 3. Next, ‘Ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old’ 4. Once you are done, ‘Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old’ 5. Then, ‘net start wuauserv’. Next, ‘net start cryptSvc’ 6. After this, ‘net start bits’ 7. Finally, ‘net start msiserver’
At last, reboot your PC so that changes made so far come into effect.
12. Perform a System Restore
System Restore is a unique feature of Windows which helps to revert back your current OS to its earlier version when this was functioning well. Just like Windows Defender, it can also solve Windows Update related issues. Performing System Restore is quite easy, just follow the below steps-
Jointly press Win key & S to start the search, type Create a Restore Point in the text box then hit Enter.
Now on the pop-up window, hit the System Restore button followed by the Next button.
Here select your past restore point then Next to proceed.
Thereafter follow the On-screen instructions to complete this process.
As this is a point where your system was running smoothly, this may resolve the current issue.
13. Check the exclusions list
In case, all the above workarounds failed to solve this issue, there is the possibility of a severe virus attack on your System. If that’s the case, check the exclusions list on your PC by following below steps-
- Press Win logo & I to launch the Settings app.
- Tap Update & Security tab on the next window thereafter Windows Security from the left pane.
- Move to the right pane and hit Virus & threat protection option.
- Under Virus & threat protection settings section, hit the Manage settings link.
- Again on the next screen, scroll down the cursor and click Add or remove exclusions under the Exclusions section.
In case, the system drive is listed here, delete the same. This procedure will completely remove Windows Defender related issues.
We hope that you are now able to fix the Windows Defender Error 0X8007139F issue on your System. If you have any queries related to this article or its contents, do ask us in the comment section below.