The update error 0x800f0823 mostly occurs when you forgot to apply the recent servicing stack update while installing a “.msu update package” on your computer. As per Microsoft, the Windows Modules Installer must be upgraded before you install any package.
In case you have already attempted installing a cumulative update, you must be getting the below error message –
The Windows Modules Installer must be updated before you can install this package. Please update the Windows Modules Installer on the computer, then retry Setup.
No matter how many times you try updating the existing OS on your PC, the installation fails each time. So, it is better to first install the SSU then only proceed to install any Tuesday patch.
How to Fix Update Error 0x800f0823
Here’s how to solve the update error code 0x800f0823 while installing the latest cumulative updates on the computer –
1] Manually download and install the recent SSU
You need to first know the exact SSU for the Build version to which you are trying to update your device. Here’s how to get that –
- First of all, visit our catalog that contains a complete list of recent updates.
- Expand the section – Windows 10 versions, and select the one that is installed on your PC.
- Now that you know the exact servicing stack number, visit the Update Catalog site.
- Paste the copied KB number in the search bar and press Enter.
- A list of matching results will appear on the Desktop Screen, pick the one as per your system architecture, and hit the Download button.
- On the subsequent pop-up window, click the top link that bears “
.msu” file extension.
- When the download finishes, open the folder containing this file and double-click over it.
- After the installation completes, you may re-try installing the patch that was earlier resulting in an error code 0x800f0823.
2] Use Windows Update
Alternatively, you may also use the Windows update section to download and install the pending SSU on your device. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Press Win + I to start the Settings app.
Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Move to the right pane and click Check for updates.
- Let the system search for any pending updates.
- If there is indeed any pending update, the system will automatically download and install it on your computer.
I hope you find this tutorial useful to resolve the error 0x800f0823 and you are now able to upgrade the Windows 10 OS without getting into any further issues.