Did you recently tried applying a featured update on your computer, however, this fails on error 0x80010108? Well, in this post, we will outline the major causes that may cause this issue along with a few workarounds. One such reason that may evoke this error is the missing wups2.dll file.
While receiving this bug, you may get the following error message as well –
There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (Error 0x80010108).
Update Error Code 0x80010108 Solutions
To solve Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x80010108, go through the below list of suggestions sequentially –
- Disable Antivirus Program
- Re-register the wups2.dll file
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Run SFC and DISM Scans
- Flush DNS cache
- Reset Windows Update Components
- Update Windows 10 in Clean Boot State
1] Disable Antivirus Program
Running an antivirus program in the background may prevent Windows updates from occurring automatically. If this indeed is the case, you can fix this by simply disabling the security application. In case Windows Defender is your by-default antivirus, read how to disable this in-built program.
However, if you use any third-party program to curb viruses and malware, visit your manufacturer’s official sites to learn ways to disable the existing security application.
There is a good possibility that this method alone fixes the 0x80010108 error. If not, try out the next set of solutions discussed below –
2] Re-register the wups2.dll file
A few users reported receiving this error just because of a missing DLL file on their computers. Check if this is the case on your device as well or not. In case you too find a missing DLL file named “wups2.dll”, use the below steps to re-register this file –
- Open the Run dialog by pressing the Win + R shortcut.
- Type the following in the text field, and press OK.
regsvr32 wups2.dll /s
- After re-registering this file, do restart Windows to incorporate the above changes.
3] Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Update troubleshooter is a great tool on Windows 10 PC that can look for possible reasons preventing new updates from applying on the device. Here’s how to troubleshoot for possible culprits on the computer –
- Go to
Settings (Win + I) > Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot on the left column thereafter Additional troubleshooters on the right pane.
- Subsequently, click Windows Update and hit Run the troubleshooter.
- The system immediately starts looking for any issues on the computer. If there indeed lies any bug or error, this will prompt “
Apply this fix” option.
- Hit this option and restart your PC.
- From the next logon, you may upgrade your device to its latest version.
If the troubleshooter doesn’t provide any solution or the 0x80010108 error is still there, try out the next workaround.
4] Run SFC & DISM Scans
This error may also occur if any core files have gone missing or become corrupt. To fix this, you may take help from the SFC scan. Here’s how to scan and repair damaged system files –
- Press Win + R.
- When the Run dialog comes into the display, type “cmd”, and press Ctrl+ Shift + Enter keys altogether.
- Next, type
sfc/scannownear the blinking cursor, and press Enter.
- Usually, this takes 15-20 minutes to scan and repair corrupt files.
- Once this is over, restart your computer.
Another great scan in Windows 10 is running the DISM codes. Executing DISM command lines will check for any errors inside the Windows Image and fix them (if it finds any). All you require is to follow these easy steps –
- Open Command Prompt having administrative privileges.
- On the elevated console, copy/paste this line, and press the Enter key.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait for the scan to complete. Once finished, restart Windows to make the changes effective from the next logon.
5] Flush DNS Cache
Many a time, Windows 10 update process simply fails because of the existing DNS cache. In order to assume the normal update process, you must flush the DNS cache using the below steps –
- Press Win + S to launch the Search window, and type “cmd” in the search bar.
- Right-click on the top result and select the Run as administrator option.
- When the Windows console comes into the display, execute the below command –
Now, that you have flushed the DNS cache, check network connectivity and Internet speed as well. This is because a lousy network may prevent Windows Update from connecting to its servers and thus resulting in update-related issues.
6] Reset Windows Update Components
Corrupted or obsolete Windows update components may also cause this bug on your device. In order to overcome this, you must reset all update-related folders and components. To do so, you need to tweak a few command lines on the Windows console –
- Launch Command Prompt having Admin rights.
- On the elevated window, execute the below codes one after another –
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop trustedinstaller
- After disabling the above components, it’s time to rename a few Windows 10 update folders. To do so, go to the below locations separately and rename the right-side folders –
C:\Windows – SoftwareDistribution to
C:\Windows\System32 – catroot2 to
- When you finish renaming the above two folders, re-activate the services that you have stopped earlier –
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start CryptSvc
net start trustedinstaller
- Lastly, reboot your computer so that changes made come into effect.
7] Update Windows 10 in Clean Boot State
If none of the above workarounds help to resolve the error code 0x80010108, boot Windows 10 into the Clean Boot. This is basically a state where only system applications (which are required) run. Once you are inside this boot, go to the below path, and hit the Check for Updates button.
In case you are not able to get any updates automatically, read how to manually update Windows 10 OS on the computer.
I hope this tutorial helps to resolve the Windows 10 update error code 0x80010108. In case you have any queries or suggestions, let’s know in the comment section.